Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion from “Notorious”

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I'd like to go to a 1940s type nightclub, where they have dinner and dancing with an orchestra.  And wear an evening gown.

With sequins in some kind of design. And there has to be a girl singer with the same kind of gown.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I'd like to go to a 1940s type nightclub, where they have dinner and dancing with an orchestra.  And wear an evening gown.

With sequins in some kind of design. And there has to be a girl singer with the same kind of gown.

My mother and father married after a 6 week courtship, in 1942. Dad was doing shift work in a war plant, and there was no such thing as time for a "honeymoon", so they married in the afternoon, and that night went to a very popular night club for dinner and dancing. My mother wore the dress she was married in (the wedding wasn't fancy). Sigh.

Respected Contributor

Style in Film: Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant in Notorious |

Here's the back of that elegant dress. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

And the front:

See the source image

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

Is that a bit of midriff showing in the one with the striped top?

@jonbon 

Yes, she’s baring her midriff! She wore this outfit at the beginning of the movie in a resort party setting - I think. 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@wilma  - I've enjoyed reading your fashion postings.  If you're up for it, would love to see the fashion Julia wore in Pretty Woman - or even in Best Friend's Wedding.  Smiley Happy

@San Antonio Gal 

I’ll see what I can find and start another thread about them. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@jonbon 

Yes, she’s baring her midriff! She wore this outfit at the beginning of the movie in a resort party setting - I think. 

Shocking! Smiley Wink

ETA: Thank you for starting all of these fun movie fashion topics. I have enjoyed them immensely.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@jonbon 

Shocking! Smiley Wink

ETA: Thank you for starting all of these fun movie fashion topics. I have enjoyed them immensely.

Not at all! Lots of informal wear and swim suits were 2 piece. No bikinis, but midriff skin was not taboo. And yes, @jonbon, she WAS a naughty girl in that scene but not TOO naughty.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@jonbon 

Shocking! Smiley Wink

Not at all! Lots of informal wear and swim suits were 2 piece. No bikinis, but midriff skin was not taboo. And yes, @jonbon, she WAS a naughty girl in that scene but not TOO naughty.

I know (thus the "smileywink") -- I was just being silly in my response. Even the bare skin was tastefully done.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@jonbon 

Shocking! Smiley Wink

@jonbon 

You’re welcome! I love old movies and the fashions in them!