Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion brands on southern channel, reviews please.

I can't say there are any really good comparisons except maybe Dennis Basso and Adrian Landau. 

The closest line HSN had to D&C was Cervelle and they have long since gotten rid of that line.  I guess you can kind of compare Graver to Slinky in what is sold but the fabrics are very different.  The basic Slinky fabric that she started at HSN with is like the Chico's Travelers material and I hate that stuff.  It feels like rubber to me.  Since then, Slinky has branched out into other fabrics.

I own my fair share of HSN clothing.  Up until I bought a couple things from Colleen Lopez's line last week, it had been awhile since I ordered clothing from them. 

I will say that I think HSN has the most overinflated retail values when it comes to clothing lines.  I've ordered items from several lines at clearance prices and they were barely worth that, let alone what HSN had listed as the retail value.  Iman's retail prices are particularly laughable.        

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

HSN has some great brands (as mentioned above) but, just like all brands sold everywhere, there are winners & losers so you need to judge each piece separately.

Slinky is not really comparable to Susan Graver although her liquid knit is similar (but different and I prefer Slinky). I don't care for the newer fabrics/knots that Slinky has added. In my experience look cheap and don't hold up. Lots of pilling. The fabric that Slinky is famous for is a lightweight jersey that drapes beautifully. Some people complain that it clings but if it grabs and emphasizes things you'd like to hide you are wearing the wrong size. Slinky jersey knit is easy wash/wear, no fading, pilling, no wrinkles, cool on the body (mine anyway, it is one of my preferred fabrics to wear when the Florida weather is hot & humid).

HSN sizing is generally similar to B&M stores - a size larger than QVC. But do check every item for garment measurements and you will have the best luck with fit. 

Unless it is a new item, the reviews will often be very helpful so do read those. When I'm concerned about SMS aspect of the item someone has often done a review addressing the same thing and that helps me decide. One thing I look for in revisits comments about the fabric ic pilling. I won't order anything that pills so quickly it is in a review.

HSN sizing actually runs smaller than QVC.  For instance, a QVC medium is a 10/12 and an HSN medium is a 8/10.    

Yes, good catch. Not sure why I wrote the opposite of what I meant to say. 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

What is the southern channel? I have never heard of it.

It's a  funny thing that some of the older women do.  For the life of me, I don't know why.  They call HSN the southern channel and Evine, the northern channel.  There never have been any restrictions about naming other retailers be it HSN or Talbots or Macy's or Amazon....but they still use those silly terms.  It's strange but also funny.