Trusted Contributor

Re: Fashion brands on southern channel, reviews please.

Slinky fits the bill.
Respected Contributor

I've had much better luck with their fashions than here on the Q.   I have never tried Susna Graver, but Slinky may be comparable.  I do have a lot of Chico's Traveler items that SG reminds me of though.  In comparison with Chico's the knits from Slinky are much thinner.  I don't think they will last as long; however, they look good and the price is great.  You can often get 2 packs of shirts, tanks, etc.  for less than the price of one SG product.  Recently I"ve purchased some more sweater knit items from them and like them too.  I especially like some of the long dusters they've had recently.

Other designers I like are Marla Wynne and Iman.  I am also happy with my purchases from Twiggy and Serena Williams.  I have one pair of Diane Gillman jeans which I love, but I've read mixed reviews from others that her sizing/quality is not consistant.  I would stay away from any Joy Mangano or Iman bags as I have not had good luck with quality.  For example, I recently got Iman's suede and leather jacket, gloves, and purse.  The jacket and gloves seemed like high quality materials but the suede on the purse was rough and cheap looking. 

They have great clearance prices so I often try different designers out by buying something out of clearance first. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

HSN has some great brands (as mentioned above) but, just like all brands sold everywhere, there are winners & losers so you need to judge each piece separately.

Slinky is not really comparable to Susan Graver although her liquid knit is similar (but different and I prefer Slinky). I don't care for the newer fabrics/knots that Slinky has added. In my experience look cheap and don't hold up. Lots of pilling. The fabric that Slinky is famous for is a lightweight jersey that drapes beautifully. Some people complain that it clings but if it grabs and emphasizes things you'd like to hide you are wearing the wrong size. Slinky jersey knit is easy wash/wear, no fading, pilling, no wrinkles, cool on the body (mine anyway, it is one of my preferred fabrics to wear when the Florida weather is hot & humid).

HSN sizing is generally similar to B&M stores - a size smaller than QVC. But do check every item for garment measurements and you will have the best luck with fit. 

Unless it is a new item, the reviews will often be very helpful so do read those. When I'm concerned about SMS aspect of the item someone has often done a review addressing the same thing and that helps me decide. One thing I look for in revisits comments about the fabric ic pilling. I won't order anything that pills so quickly it is in a review.

Honored Contributor

Slinky can be repetitive but I've found some really great pieces. I think I only have one piece that's in her signature fabric. Did not have any luck with the Iman garment I purchased, Guliana's construction is good but I find her pricing to be arrogant and the Gilman jeans lose their shape very quickly. I purchase a Hal Rubenstein piece and the chain detail that made it unique and special broke almost immediately!
A good friend of mine loves Serena Williams. I haven't tried it yet. The idea of putting money in NeNe Leakes pocket makes me a tad nauseous
In my opinion the HSN offerings are more contemporary then QVC
Esteemed Contributor

Serena Williams

Wendy Williams

G. Guilina Rancic (I would never purchase) but you may enjoy

Marla Wynne

Antthony Design Originals

Iman, Iman, Iman Iman!!!!!!!!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Kat 213 @LibbyAnnE, There was a time on the QVC board when the very mention of HSN in any context was reason for the board moderators to immediately poof your post.   We know they have lightened up on that since that time, but some of us simply are in the habit of referring to HSN as the southern channel here.   

As for the Bellagio's original post here asking for brand comparison, there really isnt a fair method of comparing brands in that manner.  For the sake of answering, if I were to steer someone to HSN to find something like Susan Graver I would tell them to check out Slinky and Antthony.  Diane Gilman's DG 2  is about as close as HSN comes to D&C, and DG2 isn't as totally casual as D&C tends to be.  With regard stay away from that's too objective for me to touch. Invariably someone's going to be offended by my choices in this area from both networks.    

Regular Contributor

@Trix, good to know.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Twiggy

IMAN

some Guliana

Vince Camuto

others I can't think of....

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Frequent Contributor

I recently had good luck with the new Jones NY on HSN. Very nice quality and prices similar to the old JNY. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

HSN has some great brands (as mentioned above) but, just like all brands sold everywhere, there are winners & losers so you need to judge each piece separately.

Slinky is not really comparable to Susan Graver although her liquid knit is similar (but different and I prefer Slinky). I don't care for the newer fabrics/knots that Slinky has added. In my experience look cheap and don't hold up. Lots of pilling. The fabric that Slinky is famous for is a lightweight jersey that drapes beautifully. Some people complain that it clings but if it grabs and emphasizes things you'd like to hide you are wearing the wrong size. Slinky jersey knit is easy wash/wear, no fading, pilling, no wrinkles, cool on the body (mine anyway, it is one of my preferred fabrics to wear when the Florida weather is hot & humid).

HSN sizing is generally similar to B&M stores - a size larger than QVC. But do check every item for garment measurements and you will have the best luck with fit. 

Unless it is a new item, the reviews will often be very helpful so do read those. When I'm concerned about SMS aspect of the item someone has often done a review addressing the same thing and that helps me decide. One thing I look for in revisits comments about the fabric ic pilling. I won't order anything that pills so quickly it is in a review.

HSN sizing actually runs smaller than QVC.  For instance, a QVC medium is a 10/12 and an HSN medium is a 8/10.