Honored Contributor

Fashion Sleuths - Up For a Challenge?

There are many wonderful fashion sleuths on this Forum.  I would very much appreciate ideas to help me on this...

My dear 90-year old mother just told me she is going to a theme-party in June.  The theme: "The Roaring 1920's!"  She has asked me to find her a 1920's-style dress. 

I buy 95% of all her clothes and have them shipped to her (we live in different states); of course I am on this immediately.  I love the challenge, but at 90, not 30, the style of dress will be hard to find for someone who hasn't gone sleeveless in 50 years. [She also will not be able to keep up with a shawl around her shoulders, once the electric slide music comes on.]

She's plus size and does not want the dress in black.  I have till June, but I want to get it within the next 30 days in case we have to go through some back & forth.  Plus, I will probably need to get her new shoes once the dress is final. 

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion Sleuths - Up For a Challenge?

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to an article in Elle, that might give you a few ideas

http://www.elle.com/fashion/trend-reports/news/g8167/great-gatsby-style/

I found a few on Etsy and I would say a beaded top and pleated skirt might work, I have a very Gatsbyesque dress made by J Kara, that I work to a Gatsby style party a few years ago.

Eta to change name of company and to add that Dilliards seems to carry a lot of their dresses

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much @I am still oxox

I am also scouring Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Be careful with Amazon some of their fashions tend to run very very small

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

check out unique-vintage.com

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

I think I found the dress.  Unique-vintage -- thank you @MercysMom!!

Long enough, it'll be a great color on her, and I can make the headpiece to match.  We'll just have to see about a thin/whispy jacket.

Flapper Dress.jpg

Thank you All!

Honored Contributor

I found some great Ivory lace shrugs on Amazon last Summer

Super Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper

You are welcome.  That's the one I thought was a good choice too! I hope it works for her and she has a wonderful time!  

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

Wow - to have a mother obvisouly as hip as your's, for her to be 90 years old!  What a blessing - I hope!

The dress shown is lovely, looks pretty perfect for her Roaring '20s Party - how much fun will that be?

I hope y our Mom loves the dress and has a great time with her friends.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Wow - to have a mother obvisouly as hip as your's, for her to be 90 years old!  What a blessing - I hope!

The dress shown is lovely, looks pretty perfect for her Roaring '20s Party - how much fun will that be?

I hope y our Mom loves the dress and has a great time with her friends.

Thank you @PINKdogWOOD.  Yes, she's truly a blessing. She had Stage 4 colon cancer at age 80, after being the primary care provider of my dad who had Alzheimer's for 9 years.  Ten years later and she is fully recovered and enjoying a wonderful life. Her internist and oncologist both have absolutely no answers for how well she's doing.  We don't need answers.