Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fashion Industry Bets That Skinny-Jean Trend Is Over

I think it more that the fashion industry HOPES skinny jeans are over so, as the article points out, they can sell us all the peripherals that go with whatever bottoms are in style!

I feel more comfortable in jeans rather than yoga pants--even nice ones like Lululemon.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

That's one person's opinion. My opinion is that skinny jeans, leggings, jeggings are classics now and they are not going anywhere because women like them. I like them....even though I can't wear them. Well, I could. But it wouldn't be pretty....lol I can understand why the fashion industry isn't happy; they want us to hit the malls and shop for new jeans and pants. They probably want the jean craze to come to end to because our jeans last forever. We don't buy new ones because we need new jeans, we buy because we want new jeans.

Super Contributor

On 10/7/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 10/7/2014 willdob3 said:

Do most women really pay any attention to drivel like this? lol...

I suspect most women buy what they like & what they think looks best on them.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} i agree!

no reason to retire skinny jeans or stop selling them......i believe that there will still be many people buying and wearing them!

ITA. That is how I buy, what flatters me and what I like. I could not give a rodent's rear end what the fashion industry says I need to buy. When they pay for it, they can choose for me. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Do women not realize that the entire fashion industry is comprised of making you buy buy buy a certain style and then making that unavailable and brainwashing you that some different style is "in" now, so you will go out and once again buy buy buy .The last thing they want is for anyone to be content with the clothes they already own.

Respected Contributor

Another reason why if you have to resources to own a substantial wardrobe of timeless pieces that do not wear out easily. Also, avoid uber trendy things and you'll be good for years with the outfits you love to wear.

Esteemed Contributor

This article is just an example of how the retail industry sets women up to make them believe that they must have whatever thing they want to call the latest greatest. Sales for skinny jeans may have slipped to what they consider ... sluggish... because those of us who love skinny jeans are overrun with multiple pairs now, and have no need to keep replenishing our closets. The fashion merchants industry and shopping mall/districts insiders have marketing teams across the country and get together at conferences to plot these things. The whole idea is to boost sales by creating a frenzied demand for something. It has absolutely nothing to do with what looks good on anyone. They wouldn't care if clown pants caught on if that's what women were willing to buy.

Honored Contributor

On 10/7/2014 Trix said:

This article is just an example of how the retail industry sets women up to make them believe that they must have whatever thing they want to call the latest greatest. Sales for skinny jeans may have slipped to what they consider ... sluggish... because those of us who love skinny jeans are overrun with multiple pairs now, and have no need to keep replenishing our closets. The fashion merchants industry and shopping mall/districts insiders have marketing teams across the country and get together at conferences to plot these things. The whole idea is to boost sales by creating a frenzied demand for something. It has absolutely nothing to do with what looks good on anyone. They wouldn't care if clown pants caught on if that's what women were willing to buy.

Exactly, why do women fall for this.

Honored Contributor

On 10/7/2014 happy housewife said:
On 10/7/2014 Trix said:

This article is just an example of how the retail industry sets women up to make them believe that they must have whatever thing they want to call the latest greatest. Sales for skinny jeans may have slipped to what they consider ... <em>sluggish</em>... because those of us who love skinny jeans are overrun with multiple pairs now, and have no need to keep replenishing our closets. The fashion merchants industry and shopping mall/districts insiders have marketing teams across the country and get together at conferences to plot these things. The whole idea is to boost sales by creating a frenzied demand for something. It has absolutely nothing to do with what looks good on anyone. They wouldn't care if clown pants caught on if that's what women were willing to buy.

Exactly, why do women fall for this.

You beat me to it. It is all about making us think we need something other than what we have.

Respected Contributor

Skinny jeans are like wearing a girdle from waist to ankles. I despise them and have returned ones I've ordered. Slim pants are different because they aren't skin tight. I love Susan Graver's skinny lustra knit pants. I wore them in an XS and actually got a compliment on my outfit, which isn't all that common. (I usually buy an S, but they didn't have a S in black. They still weren't skin tight.)

Super Contributor

Nothing comes between me and my modern waist boot cut jeans and cords! If I can't find them in the store, I get them on EBAY. No one I work with ( Human Services) wears leggings or jeggings, and most of the ladies I work with are in their 20's. I have a few "slight bootcut" jeans that I could wear with tall boots- but I hate tall boots- I can't stand anything that tight on my legs. I have never tried Uggs, either- I just get ankle boots, preferrably with a small heel. I'm glad there is variety, or more importantly, that there are a lot of outlets (EBAY) where if you're patient you can find what you want, so it does not even bother me if I can't find what I want in the store.