Respected Contributor

Re: Fashion Icon - Jackie O.

@AlcottWilder Thank you and yes, I did know all that you mentioned.  I was 13 when he was sworn in as President.  The White House Restoration was well rewarded by Mrs. Kennedy's respect for history.  She was known for having tracked down historical pieces previously in the White House during the tenure of Madison, Jefferson that were held in private collections and have them donated to the White House.  Since you are a history teacher, you know the funeral and lying in state was based on Lincoln's funeral.

I come from New York and Grand Central was a very important structure.  Her involvement at the final hour made all the difference in saving that magnificent structure and it's restoration makes it a beautiful sight to behold.  It shines, now, in it's original glory.  New York lost so many historical buildings that were not declared landmarks and were torn down with all it's history in order for modern structures to take it's place. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime I tell my students about Mamie and her use of pink in the White House that horrified Mrs Kennedy.   Also on the campaign trail she spoke many languages that served for the campaign and on trips abroad as First Lady. After all JFK was the man who accompanied Jaqueline Kennedy to Paris.  Because the pandemic struck just as I was started in the 60s I never got to do my unit on Jackie Kennedy. So it makes me happy to add stuff in the forum.  I am teaching online but we have to do a uniform lesson and activity each week.  

I don't live in New York but have been to a Grand Central many times. It is a beautiful and breathtaking building. I am glad it was saved.  It's a highlight for me and my kids. 

Respected Contributor

@AlcottWilder   If you have a chance, Union Station in DC has undergone a massive restoration as well.  Beautiful and steeped in history, worthwhile as one of the sights in DC, even a tour online!

What a change for you and your students to have online classes, a big adjustment for all of you.  My grandson is finishing his freshman year of high school and has been doing online classes every day from 9-1.  Of course, he likes the shortened hours but seems to be doing well on the learning end as well.

Valued Contributor

I loved Jackie’s style and am amazed to think that she was only 31 years old when her husband was inaugurated and  a widow at 34.  i still remember the French being amazed at her perfect command of their language as well as her fluency in Italian and Spanish. She was a great student of history, a voracious reader and won a national equestrian championship at the age of 11.

Despite the money, her life was not easy. Her parents divorced, her father was a “charming” womanizer who disappointed her many times and showed up at her wedding drunk. It is said that she married Onassis to escape the horror of the assassinations and fear for her childrens’ lives. He was very cutting and cruel to her, still involved with Maria Callas. She seemed to find some peace in her later years working as an editor, enjoying her children and male friend Maurice Templeton in the anonymity of NYC.

Most of all, I admired the fact that she guarded her privacy, never “spilled her guts” as they do today and, before she died from cancer, she burned all her private diaries and correspondence not wanting them to be fodder for the media after she was gone.

Respected Contributor

A good read with good advice....

Accessories | Book What Would Jackie Do | Poshmark

Respected Contributor

Yes to all who pointed out the accomplishments of Jackie during her short time in the White House. I have one of the original guide books that I purchased on a White House tour in 1964. It is entitled The White House an Historical Guide. Jackie wrote an introduction to the guide book. It was her idea for the book so that people could have something to take away to remind them of their tour. I think it is still in publication many editions later.  I was 13 on 11-22-1963. As long as I live I will never forget that awful day. It has been said that Jackie helped a grieving nation through those next few days with her dignity and grace. 

I love all of these fashions shown here. I feel like all of them could be worn today just as beautifully as they were in the 60's. Timeless beautiful clothes. Well maybe not the mini skirt. 

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

At her daughter's wedding 

jackie-kennedy-caroline-kennedy-wedding-259174-1527707064510-promo.700x0c.jpg

I like her in both of the outfits surrounding this original post (Cassini dress and black tee/white pants), but this one does nothing for me. Not special in any way and a rather ho-hum "mother of the bride" look. Don't like the gloves, either, especially the way they meet the bottom of the sleeves on the dress.