Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fashion Icon - Jackie O.

@StylishLady I have that, too. I bought some of the replica pins that QVC used to offer as well. The large "starburst" is one of my favorites along with the scarecrow. I wear them both on jackets.

Respected Contributor

Yikes! animated-shocked-smiley-image-0065.gif

This is a fashion forum, so I'll stick to that.

An employee at one of the NYC stores she frequented, said that, when Jackie O. would find classic casual pieces she liked (tops, pants, etc.), she'd buy them in all colors available.

Just like me!

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay and @dulwich

I think the difference between Jackie and Kate is Jackie was very glamorous, esp when she was really dressed up. (Diana also) Although Kate has once in a while looked glamorous she is more cosistently pretty girl-next-door-looking, even when dressed up, than glamorous.
In my opinion.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee -

I agree. I didn't use the word glamorous for kate, just elegant.

I think they are both beautiful in their own right with a wonderful sense of style of their own.

I think neither looked "glamorous" until they wore ball gowns or something.

They both seem to always dress so well for wherever and whatever they were doing.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay. I know you didn't use that word. I was pointing out a difference between the two women.

I do think Jackie looked glamorous even casually in those sunglasses!
Respected Contributor

A question was raised as to why Jackie was so admired.  November 22, 1963!  The dignity and grace she exhibited during the horror of that day and the remaining days of the funeral and burial will forever be the reason for my admiration.  The horror she experienced that day remained with her for the rest of her life.

Regarding her sense of style, simple, tailored, refined, regal and youthful for the time.  She was a breath of fresh air coming off the Eisenhower presidency as well as those before.  The previous First Ladies were closer to grandmotherly and Mamie favored pink in everything.

Honored Contributor

I think this is beautiful, she wore it to a state dinner. It was made for her by Oleg Cassini, I believe he made many pieces for her.

d253a9a2d5503abe5e19b17643fe6614.jpg

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

At her daughter's wedding 

jackie-kennedy-caroline-kennedy-wedding-259174-1527707064510-promo.700x0c.jpg

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

I always think of her in her black T with white pants. Just perfect.

How to Get Jackie O.'s Grecian Style Formula | Vogue

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime  Thank you for your post. People also forget that she restored the Whithe House to a historic home, created a guidebook to raise money for the project and gave a tour on television of the White House. She was able to do the restoration at little cost to the taxpayers. She also bought the White House China from West Virginia after seeing the rampant poverty there on the campaign trail. But as you said it was her holding the nation together and carrying herself with dignity and grace in the face of horror. Did you know that the day of JFK's funeral was also John Jr's  third birthday and after the funeral they had the birthday party because Jackie said he might not understand the loss of his father but he will understand that his birthday party got canceled that he's been looking forward to for weeks.   Plus she was a great mom. She kept her kids out of most of the other trouble  the Kennedy cousins found themselves in.  

I forgot that she also fought to keep grand central station from being demolished.