Honored Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fashion From 1950-1970 Enjoy!!!

[ Edited ]

I very much enjoyed the pictoral progression of fashion ~ the music was great, too.  Interesting ~ Thanks : )

Valued Contributor

Wow!  You have made my day and cry at the same time. 

My mother loved to sew.  We spent countless hours at the fabric stores. Pouring over patterns pulled from those big drawers.  

We helped her iron the patterns and pin them to the fabric. 

And then stand on a chair to get the length right and try hard not to get stuck by the pins.

Thank-you @ECBG very much

Honored Contributor

Nice, I remember most of the styles throughout those years.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

My mother loved to sew.  We spent countless hours at the fabric stores. Pouring over patterns pulled from those big drawers.  

And then stand on a chair to get the length right and try hard not to get stuck by the pins.

@Lapdog,Very welcome.  It might make you smile to know I did all of the same things (my students stood in the center of a rectangle table with four legs) in my tailoring classes.

I used to make all of my own clothes out of Vogue patterns.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Lapdog wrote:

@Lapdog,Very welcome.  It might make you smile to know I did all of the same things (my students stood in the center of a rectangle table with four legs) in my tailoring classes.

I used to make all of my own clothes out of Vogue patterns.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  I had so many of the clothes from the 60's-80's.  My dear mother was an avid seamstress and made most of my clothes (wore a uniform to school. YUK!).  I fondly recall standing on the dining room chair while Mom measured the length.  Although she designed many of her own pattersn, she loved Vogue, which were considered expensive.  When she passed away in 2007, I found Vogue patterns that were .25.  I was amazed.  She worked on 7th Avenue which is where she met my dad.  He also taught design at FIT. Dad always brought home lots of fabric and notions. I love to sew and still make my own clothes.  Sadly, it's become a lost art. Thanks, again.   docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

Brought back so many memories!!

Mom made my clothes too and I still make a few things for myself......

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG

I'm bookmarking this video to watch from time to time.

Yes, it was a wonderful trip down memory lane. 

Our favorite department store in St. Louis (now Dillards, formerly Stix) had a large, beautiful fabric area.  So many delicious fabrics it was often impossible to choose. 

And the patterns!  Someone mentioned the large drawers they were stored in -- and the books you could browse.  Vogue and all the rest. 

My mother worked as a seamstress in a lingerie factory and sewed many of our clothes.  She loved saving lace and fabrics.  Made all our prom dresses in brocade or satin.  My sis was the "queen" one year and had a stunning, mint green gown. 

I had a favorite orange, polka-dot tiered skirt that she made for me Cat LOL  I inherited her love of sewing and bright colors.

Nice memories.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@ECBG

I'm bookmarking this video to watch from time to time.

Yes, it was a wonderful trip down memory lane. 

Our favorite department store in St. Louis (now Dillards, formerly Stix) had a large, beautiful fabric area.  So many delicious fabrics it was often impossible to choose. 

And the patterns!  Someone mentioned the large drawers they were stored in -- and the books you could browse.  Vogue and all the rest. 

My mother worked as a seamstress in a lingerie factory and sewed many of our clothes.  She loved saving lace and fabrics.  Made all our prom dresses in brocade or satin.  My sis was the "queen" one year and had a stunning, mint green gown. 

I had a favorite orange, polka-dot tiered skirt that she made for me Cat LOL  I inherited her love of sewing and bright colors.

Nice memories.

@Witchy Woman,There are other videos on decades of fashion on youtube.  You would probably enjoy them!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for posting.

I am longing for the day when elegance returns to women's clothing. I realize it probably never will but just watching that video brought me back to a time when clothing was beautifully made and women could look glamorous without feeling out of place.