Honored Contributor

Fashion Friends, how as the Thanksgiving dinner changed since it you took it over?

We always had Thanksgiving at my step grandmother's.  She was an extremely kind lady and a pretty good cook!  Her turkey was so outstanding, I asked her the same question all the way through college so I could get it right!  Pountry Seasoning! with the usual!  Everyone had a "fit" after she was gone because I was the only one who could recreate the flavors!  Never did the little stuffed celery, olives, and pickles, though. She was such a precious person!

How is your's different?

Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion Friends, how as the Thanksgiving dinner changed since it you took it over?

not really that different.......my mom is still alive and we work on it together.......i love a tradiitonal thanksgiving meal and that is pretty much what we do and everyone seems to enjoy it. the only thing that we change up sometimes are our appetizers and selection of wines/cocktails..

turkey

dressing

gravy

mashed potatoes

petite whole green beans

saffron carrots

caesar salad

sauerkraut with country spare ribs

homemade cranberry sauce (cranberries, raspberries, granny smith apples)

croissants

pecan torte

pumpkin pie

tray of mini cream puffs and fruit tarts

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fashion Friends, how as the Thanksgiving dinner changed since it you took it over?

@sunshine45 - your cranberry sauce sounds great! Do you mind if I ask how you make it?

I always like to mixup what we make. I personally always try a different stuffing. Your cranberries sound like a twist on an old favorite!
Honored Contributor

When I moved in with my soon to be husband, I got a kick out of making Thanksgiving dinner, on a smaller scale of course.  My mom tended to make some things that hubs didn't eat so I would get a taste at her house if I visited around dinner time.  My mom cooked like she feeding 15 instead of 5 even when we were young.  I don't have a robust appetite so when cooked for hubs I was unleashing my inner Donna Reed, lol.  It was the wifely thing to do.  After he died, my dad followed shortly and then my mom followed a couple of years later.  For me, I could eat a pizza now and be satisfied.  My eldest sister has included me in holiday dinner plans over the years and it's thoughtful of her, however it's not the same, can't describe it.  I'm thinking about the upcoming Thanksgiving and would like to spend it at home, quietly.  My middle sister appreciates our family traditions so I might invite her over and split the cooking. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom's sister did Thanksgivng dnner for over thirty five years.

When we moved into a new home about 16 years ago, I took over.

I always did everything that my aunt had done, and focused mostly on pleasing her and the other older relatives.

She died a year and a half ago, and we decided to do a Thanksgivng dinner on the Sunday before.

It was as nice as I could make it, but I missed her being there very much.

We had another very sudden and unexpected tragedy this year, just a few weeks ago, and I think we'll be doing an even less formal Thanksgiving THIS year.

Honored Contributor

@violann

I'm sorry for the loss in your family Violann.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

i haven't cooked thanksgiving yet, not that i couldn't, but have always been invited somewhere.  home, family friends, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego

i am so sorry that i totally forgot to come back to this thread to give you the recipe! here it is and let me know if you have any questions please! happy thanksgiving to all.

Fruity Cranberry Sauce

1 regular sized bag of cranberries
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 container or bag of frozen raspberries in syrup (if you use fresh raspberries or regular frozen raspberries without syrup add an additional 1/2 cup of sugar to the cranberries while cooking)
Juice of one orange or tangerine (about ½ cup)
2 large granny smith apples, peeled and diced
Splash of grand marnier, if desired

Place water, sugar, and cranberries in a pot. Place on medium high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Once the desired thickness is reached, allow to cool. Add remaining ingredients and combine until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least two hours. Easily doubles or triples if you are having a lot of company or want it to last for a while.. You can also add a little bit of the orange zest if you like.
This also tastes delicious over vanilla ice cream!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We've hosted the 3 generation family Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember.  I did my best to duplicate our family traditions. My husband's family always had lasagna for Thanksgiving so I added that to our feast.

Our son and his family will be spending the holiday with our DIL's family and this will be the second year without my father.  So, my husband and will be going to California for football and friends.

Respected Contributor

All of my life, I ate Thanksgiving Dinner with my parents.  When my dad passed away, the tradition continued.  Then two years ago, I lost my mom and the holidays will never be the same again.  My husband and I are eating Thanksgiving lunch at a nice restaurant.