Super Contributor

Fashion Favorites/Inseams (w/e 5/14/22)...

[ Edited ]

My favorite inspiration outfits this week from online browsing/shopping and from some of my favorite fashion bloggers. I couldn't (or wouldn't) necessarily wear any of these, but I like the way they've been styled or some particular component of the outfit. I might put an accessory on my shopping list. Maybe the outfit inspires me to put together something similar from my wardrobe or to try different color combinations. Sometimes, I just love the whole look. Thought I'd share and hope you enjoy...

Whether an inseam is right or wrong might just be one of those "in the eye of the beholder" things. I think everything from width of pant leg to type of shoe to whether it's summer or winter wear (and other considerations) all factor into whether or not you think it looks like floods and your best friend thinks it looks like a perfectly nice alternative length (I've given up trying to figure out what length is called by what name!). I just know when I see it if an inseam is, to me, floods or a kool, intentional style.

Repeating what I said in another thread, all my jeans/pants for winter and cool weather transition are long, hitting at the top of my foot or as close thereto as is possible. As soon as the temps start rising, so do my inseams, and the pant legs get mostly wider and looser. Some of the hems are frayed.   I have several different inseam lengths that I like. To me, I'm beginning to think it has a lot to do with the style shoe worn. I cuff a lot of my bottoms to my preferred length for certain outfits.

My friend thinks there is no longer such a thing as "floods!" Go figure.   Everyone seems to have a strong opinion on inseams...what's yours?

I like all of the lengths (and the whole outfit, too...my FFs of the week) in the following pics.   These are just my opinions (I'm no expert)...

#2   Favorite

#3   Perfect ankle length IMO

#5   I think this is the perfect jean!  I love the wash, the looser fit, and the perfect length...

#6   Probably lots of people would call these floods, but they work for me because of the wider hem and the ankle strap shoe...

#7   To me, these are short enough to be an obviously intentional style point, not floods (i.e., she grew out of her jeans or shrunk them)...

To my eye, there is just something off about the pant length in the following pics (all perfectly fine outfits BTW, just not a fashion favorite contender). Mostly, I'd be hard-pressed to tell you why haha...

#12   I think it's because they're worn with boots...just another inch or so would be perfect IMO...

#13   Just doesn't look right...they look like the infamous floods to my eye...

#14  Because it's a suit that looks like fall or winter and, therefore, inseam should be long??  IDK...

#16   IDK...the pants look like summer, and everything else looks like fall or winter?  I think I'd like this better without the socks...

#17  Too long...looks like she's floating...

#19   Waaaaay too long...

#20   Just off...the shoe seems too heavy?  Maybe with a lighter, more feminine sandal?

#21   This is a length I dislike...I guess it's a capri length...to my eye, it looks too short...

No one did the alternative lengths better than Jackie Kennedy or Audrey Hepburn...

As always, thank you so much for your comments on these threads! I read them all. I especially enjoy reading why you like an outfit or why you don't and how you might tweak an outfit, or what individual pieces you like.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fashion Favorites/Inseams (w/e 5/14/22)...

[ Edited ]

@MacDuFF It's early Sunday morning, drinking my tea and reading your FF post is a nice way to start the day.

I enjoy seeing the pictures and reading your commentary.   

I wish I looked as good as some of the women in the pictures, but it does give me some incentive to try some new ways to style some pieces I already own. 

Have a good week. 

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Contributor

#3 -  Exactly the way I like all of my pants to fit, even jeans, both in width and length.  I truly believe personal preference is so important in the clothes choices we make and whatever choicees we each make, it can help make this a fun world to be in.

#14 - Yes, my preference would be for tthat inseam to go full lenegth, but maybe she wants to show off her tatoo.  Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@MacDuFF I like the shoes with this outfit, especially with the belt. The only change I would make is a longer inseam. The handbag works well with the top and pants, well put-together outfit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the topic .... I prefer my pants to completely cover my ankles and to break (slightly) over or skim my instep.  Depends on leg width / fabric / shoes. 

I don't have long legs - so prefer the look of full length pants to balance my longer torso.  (Pointy toe shoes help to make my legs look longer.)

Pants that completely cover my shoes make my legs look shorter.  (The "Sam, you made the pants too long" look.)

Off topic .....

I'm growing out my pixie cut - planning on a bob.  Her hair style looks like mine at the moment ....only in brown with bit of gray.  

At my age - my mother's hair was completely white - I think I'm destined to be "pepper with a sprinkling of salt" forever!  My younger sister has beautiful gray hair . My father never went gray ... I think I've inherited his "hair genes."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Whether an inseam is right or wrong might just be one of those "in the eye of the beholder" things. I think everything from width of pant leg to type of shoe to whether it's summer or winter wear (and other considerations) all factor into whether or not you think it looks like floods and your best friend thinks it looks like a perfectly nice alternative length..."

Exactly how I look at pant length ... all about the width of pant and shoe type, at least on my body. I cannot wear flat shoes of any kind and when I try on pants, it needs to be w/ the shoe I plan on wearing before I make the buy/no buy decision. On my body I don't like how I look in the length that falls just below knee to mid-calf. Yowza it makes me feel like I have short(er) legs. On other folks, it doesn't both me so much, wear what you want and rock on baby.

In summer I actually do wear shorts and I'm just as picky about where those hit on my legs and how tight/wide they are thru the thigh. I know a lot of 64 year old ladies don't like to wear shorts, but I plan on wearing shorts all of my life. Smiley Happy

The looks I like the most are #3 & #7 because of the fit and where they hit on the leg.

Thanks for sharing your fashion favorite - "inseam edition". Have a great week!

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Perfect fly front classic slacks with pockets, except they are too long.  Don't like white with this color top, though, or the sandals.  

Honored Contributor

Either they are pedal pushers, capri's or long touching the top of the foot...no other inseams for me. 

We saw crops in my younger days when low income parents couldn't afford to buy their growing children new pants. Other kids openly teased them.  

I suppose that stayed with me over the years, so when I see crop pants, I think of those families.  

Super Contributor

@MacDuFF  I love 11, 17, and 19 pants length. When I was younger it was hard to find pants long enough and I hated having "high waters" I love the look of long pants

Honored Contributor

My style of dressing, pattern, and color...except the top. Too low for that traditionally styled suit.  I'd match the shirt to one of the other colors in the suit. Tailored with a collar, black, red, or blue.  I don't think white does anything for this suit...no oomph...nothing special.

Slacks are much too long and not sure how wide they are at the bottom.  They look too wide for how slim they are in the thighs.  I'd have them tailored slimmer. 

I'd wear a wider black belt with an interesting buckle.  

Shoes are too pointy for me, but black is good.