Super Contributor

Probably because your idea of a ""faux pas"" might be someone else's preference whether you like it or not or approve or not. So when you criticize it you're criticizing the way they've chosen to present themselves to the world and indirectly you've criticized them. Why don't people get that?!
Discussing fashion apart from who is wearing it as on the runway or on a hanger in the store is totally different. It's a product being sold and you can insult or praise away to your heart's content but when it's on someone I think that's off limits. JMO.

Honored Contributor
On 3/27/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

Probably because your idea of a "faux pas" might be someone else's preference whether you like it or not or approve or not. So when you criticize it you're criticizing the way they've chosen to present themselves to the world and indirectly you've criticized them. Why don't people get that?!
Discussing fashion apart from who is wearing it as on the runway or on a hanger in the store is totally different. It's a product being sold and you can insult or praise away to your heart's content but when it's on someone I think that's off limits. JMO.

Well said, BlueCollarBabe! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor
On 3/27/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Probably because your idea of a "faux pas" might be someone else's preference whether you like it or not or approve or not. So when you criticize it you're criticizing the way they've chosen to present themselves to the world and indirectly you've criticized them. Why don't people get that?!<br /> Discussing fashion apart from who is wearing it as on the runway or on a hanger in the store is totally different. It's a product being sold and you can insult or praise away to your heart's content but when it's on someone I think that's off limits. JMO.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/27/2014 Kathleen said:
On 3/27/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Probably because your idea of a "faux pas" might be someone else's preference whether you like it or not or approve or not. So when you criticize it you're criticizing the way they've chosen to present themselves to the world and indirectly you've criticized them. Why don't people get that?!<br /> Discussing fashion apart from who is wearing it as on the runway or on a hanger in the store is totally different. It's a product being sold and you can insult or praise away to your heart's content but when it's on someone I think that's off limits. JMO.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

ITA and this same goes for jewelry and handbags. Posters will say a piece of jewelry is tacky or gaudy on the same thread where posters who have bought that item are saying how much they love it and then not understand why the people who bought it are upset!
Trusted Contributor

I certainly don't get "upset" about fashion faux pas, but people post on this board because we're interested in fashion and dressing well, and we notice when others dress poorly in clothing that doesn't fit or flatter. It's interesting to analyze and comment on why some "looks" don't work well at all and to make suggestions for improving them. Sometimes people get ugly and snarky about it, but I think it's often just surprise and interest in others' poor clothing choices.......and a desire to suggest some changes!

Then others will come back with the opinion that what I consider a faux pas looks great to them.......and the exchange of opinions is off and running. Part of what makes these boards fun.