Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion Every Year from 1784-1970

I thought the whole thread was very interesting and appreciated everyone's observations and discussion. 

And isn't that what it is all about?!

So thank you everyone and @lolakimono too for all the interesting, thought provoking and fun pictures you post!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

It has led me to so many new places yesterday and today.  Such as a site:  fashionhistory.fitnyc.edu.  The essays and photos from centuries are wonderful to read and study.  And it is all about Fashion!!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

1970 - PANTS.

The continued rise of women's lib.Heart

Plus I'm a casual style person.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager @lolakimono Thanks for your thoughts.  I have no intention of doing a google search to come up with the same data sets. 

I enjoyed what was offered and gave my opinions on what was provided by lola.  Of course, it would be next to impossible to include the many cultures on the American expression of Fashion on this forum from decades and centuries gone by.  It would be a tedious undertaking and likely not be a fair representation of all the women in America.  Too many layers to consider.  Your offering was fairly simple because it was simplistic in the fact that you chose to depict rich non minority women in either Europe or the U.S.

Thanks anyway.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

".....I don't know that doing segregated charts is a great idea.  I believe that you are right that women of color were probably not the subject of similar fashion illustrations, but we all have probably seen the fashion worn by women of color throughout history illustrated in different ways.  It is because of that I was just shocked that Fashion Every Year from 1784-1970 included almost 200 illustrations but only white women mostly super wealthy.  It's as if only wealthy European Women existed over this period and that only the super wealthy wore fashion......

Thank you for explaining.  I don't think I could have said it better.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
QVC Customer Care

This thread has been closed for any futher commenting.