Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fashion Every Year from 1784-1970

@lulu1 wrote:

The last 10 years or so of fashions in the OP, look like they came off Butterick or Simplicity dress patterns.

@lulu1 My grandmother was a seamstress, and, as a child, I became very familiar with Butterick, Simplicity and Vogue patterns.  I thought as you that some of the illustrations look like the ones in pattern envelopes.  I randomly chose to do a reverse image search on the 1966 illustration, and I hope you can see what I found:

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 6.10.20 PM.png

1964 looks like a pattern to me as well, probably others.

Honored Contributor

Lola:  Thank you for this chart.

If my printer were working, I'd print it.

Btw, is there a website where you found this chart?

Very interesting fashions. 

As someone said, similar to sew-it-yourself illustrations of fashions via patterns in fabric and department stores.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMemy older sister used to go to a store near where we lived and purchase patterns and material to make her own dresses.  We were 12 years apart.  She didn't get the name of the patterns you mentioned but she did buy McCall and some other one, maybe even Singer.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is text from the originator and creator of this fashion timeline, a poster on Reddit.  It may address some questions raised:

"I find fashion history pretty interesting, and I have a lot of free time, so I tried to find illustrations of clothing people wore going as far back as possible and organizing them into a timeline. I figured I might as well post it here in case anyone else found it interesting.

1784 was about as far back as I could consistently find images for each year that were significantly different from year to year, and after 1970 fashion became a lot more diverse and harder to summarize in one picture, so I started/ ended it there.

It's all western fashion and tends towards stuff wealthier women would have worn, particularly pre-20th century. Most of the illustrations are from fashion plates, magazines, and sewing patterns from the year stated."

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@NYCLatinaMemy older sister used to go to a store near where we lived and purchase patterns and material to make her own dresses.  We were 12 years apart.  She didn't get the name of the patterns you mentioned but she did buy McCall and some other one, maybe even Singer.

Yes @gertrudecloset we had McCall's patterns too.  Maybe even that one.  My sisters and I had versions of that dress that we wore in the 1970s.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Lola:  Thank you for this chart.

If my printer were working, I'd print it.

Btw, is there a website where you found this chart?

Very interesting fashions. 

As someone said, similar to sew-it-yourself illustrations of fashions via patterns in fabric and department stores.

@ROMARY 

Yes, as @Johnnyeager can attest to, I posted it yesterday along with an explanation for the posters who wanted more information but it got poofed for the link.

Maybe @gertrudecloset can do a reverse Google image search and read all about it, or start her own thread to bring a specific country into the discussion.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just Google 'Fashion Timeline 1784 to 1970' and it has been reproduced many different places.

Honored Contributor

I found the article and photos as well by google yesterday.  I also googled "women of color" fashion time line and this one kept coming up as a hit too.  I was unable to find anything even close to this for women other than the type of women displayed.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I found the article and photos as well by google yesterday.  I also googled "women of color" fashion time line and this one kept coming up as a hit too.  I was unable to find anything even close to this for women other than the type of women displayed.  

@beckyb1012  I don't know that doing segregated charts is a great idea.  I believe that you are right that women of color were probably not the subject of similar fashion illustrations, but we all have probably seen the fashion worn by women of color throughout history illustrated in different ways.  It is because of that I was just shocked that Fashion Every Year from 1784-1970 included almost 200 illustrations but only white women mostly super wealthy.  It's as if only wealthy European Women existed over this period and that only the super wealthy wore fashion.  

So many interesting fashions and women are missing and erased!  It wouldn't be right to just add a few pictures of diverse people or a segregated chart.

I did see that doing a reverse google search of the images posted yields wepages containing the same collection of pictures in many other articles in several languages.  The original content was probably created by one of those foreign actors in social media (pinterest???) and then appropriated and reproduced by web pages that aggregate and repackage content for profit.  "My Modern Met" which created the webpage from which @lolakimono's obtained the illustrations purports to be a for profit company that sells memberships that convey no benefit to the member.  They publish articles about art (like the one that @lolakimono read) with lots of ads.  Thay also sell art inspired objects, which is probably what got the linked poofed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

This is text from the originator and creator of this fashion timeline, a poster on Reddit.  It may address some questions raised:

"I find fashion history pretty interesting, and I have a lot of free time, so I tried to find illustrations of clothing people wore going as far back as possible and organizing them into a timeline. I figured I might as well post it here in case anyone else found it interesting.

1784 was about as far back as I could consistently find images for each year that were significantly different from year to year, and after 1970 fashion became a lot more diverse and harder to summarize in one picture, so I started/ ended it there.

It's all western fashion and tends towards stuff wealthier women would have worn, particularly pre-20th century. Most of the illustrations are from fashion plates, magazines, and sewing patterns from the year stated."

@Johnnyeager I just read your post now and wonder whether this is the real original content.  The chart in reddit is identical to the one @lolakimono posted, while the "My Modern Met" webpage contains separate illustrations spread throughout the story that the author there wrote.

The reddit creator was honest, he stopped in 1970 because "after 1970 fashion [illustrations] became a lot more diverse".