Honored Contributor

Fashion Every Year from 1784-1970

I thought the fashionistas might like to see a timeline of women's fashion.

Women's Fashion History Illustrated Timeline

Women's Fashion History Illustrated TimelineWomen's Fashion History Illustrated Timeline

Women's Fashion History Illustrated TimelineWomen's Fashion History Illustrated Timeline

Which year is your favorite look, and why?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Fashion Every Year from 1784-1970

1968.  Groovey man !  

Respected Contributor

Talk about bootay!!!  Who needs a bootie when you have hoop skirts like that?  I'm guessing this is how a well-heeled woman dresses, not the ordinary housewife on the prairie or settling out West.

Anyway, I like the fashions of the mid-1930's to mid-1940's best.  I like the length of the dresses/skirts, the fit, classic tailoring/design and fine materials. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I like the 1961 dress. Pretty print and feminine but also easy to wear.

1921 reminds me of what Pollyanna wore and 1954 reminds me of what Lucy wore in I love Lucy.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

My favorite dress was from 1861.  Scarlett O'Hara's barbcue dress.

See the source image

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chosen years ago as favorite styles.

1927 and 1946.

I like the suits of the 40's and slacks in the 1930's.  

Katherine Hepburn in the 30's.

All are tailored, have become classics that are considered excellent design, often copied by designers today.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimonois this the Fashion women wore in the U.S.?  Also I would assume these women's fashions were for the more well heeled.  During the times of liaize-faire only a certain segment of the population were able to dress this way.  Then, depending on the year, non White women certainly couldn't dress this way, as they probably could not afford it.

The roaring twenties and the fashions of the 1960's and 1970's were great though.  I remember the "hippie" wear.  Then there were Afro's and daishiki's as well.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

I was afraid of opening this thread, the name is so broad!!!!  I thought there would be a million pictures!

I can say with 100 % certainty that the 18th century and 19th century fashions in this timeline is location and perhaps class specific, but don't really know what that location would be.  Maybe this is what women related to powerful men in Western Europe capitals wore? I don't think American women dressed like this.  Certainly not women in the Caribbean where I am from.

I found this picture representative of American women's wear in late 18th century:

model wearing warm brown bodice and skirt over irredescent pinkish petticoat

I guess she was no fashionista.

The world got smaller in the 20th century, but even then, I have a hard time relating this timeline to what I know.  Pants first show up in 1970.  But they were around before.

This picture is from 1946.

I have seen pictures of my mom wearing pants in the 1950s.  Audrey Hepburn did it too.

Honored Contributor

1968 reminded me of Twiggy.

Which one is your favorite @lolakimono?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Interesting!  From the forties to present I love !  All the other fashions before were lovely dresses but thinking about what the women had to wear underneath those dresses, were they able to breathe!!!!!  Too many restrictions, little movement and comfort, I can't imagine.  However, the journey of fashion is always fun to see and I am glad for being able to wear pants, roomy dresses, loose fitting clothing for the most part, comfort!!!!!