Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion Confessions & Resolutions

Here's my confession - I now have a wardrobe of new clothes that don't fit.

I gained weight the last five years, due to putting my needs last while caring for my parents.  I've been beating myself up about it for too long. This fall, I decided to face it and buy new clothes in my larger size.  I figured it would make me feel better to look nice, despite my weight.  Well, whaddaya know... since then I've gotten my act together and lost 1/3 of the weight I need to lose. I now have a closet of new clothes that are too big for me.

So, my resolution this year is to wear those droopy clothes until I reach my goal weight.  Is this doable? Probably not.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Here's my confession - I now have a wardrobe of new clothes that don't fit.

I gained weight the last five years, due to putting my needs last while caring for my parents.  I've been beating myself up about it for too long. This fall, I decided to face it and buy new clothes in my larger size.  I figured it would make me feel better to look nice, despite my weight.  Well, whaddaya know... since then I've gotten my act together and lost 1/3 of the weight I need to lose. I now have a closet of new clothes that are too big for me.

So, my resolution this year is to wear those droopy clothes until I reach my goal weight.  Is this doable? Probably not.

@house_cat

Your thinking is wrong/bad/negative. You want to punish yourself for losing weight and getting healthier before you had a chance to wear out the larger sizes? You want to look like a bag lady/clown/slob?

Take the too big clothes to consignment or just donate them. Always wear clothes that fit; too big looks bad, will make you feel less attractive, too. 

I understand feeling like it was money wasted (been there, done that) but you need to put it behind you and embrace your new size. Also, when the new size gets too big, get the smaller size. Clearance sales and consignment shops are great for buying nice clothes that won’t fit in a few months. 

I dont know how anyone ever got the idea they should wear too big clothes until they reach their desired size. Celebrate the New You every day! Don’t hide her away!

Honored Contributor

No confessions because I just don't take fashion that seriously.  Sure, I bought some things that I only wore 2 or 3 times and didn't really need but shopping makes me happy and I can afford what I buy.  I'll be donating some nice things to charities this year.  I wouldn't call them fashion resolutions and since winter just started, I haven't even begun to think about 2018 I do think that since I work from my home office, I'll resort to "uniform" dressing.  Jeans/tees & leggings/tunics for daywear.  Maxi dresses for going out in the evenings and on weekends.  That's what I think now...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CONFESSION  ABOUT MY CLOSET(s), not just for 2017.....

I have  clothes hanging in closets that do not fit....that I have not worn  in 10 years...clothes  that I do not wear....and I will never wear...

RESOLUTIONS

I WILL go through my clothes and get rid of things I never wear.   CLEANOUT.

I want to do this so bad, but every time I start to put things into the plastic garbage bag for Good Will...I stop and then do not go back to finishing....I feel some attachment to the clothes....tell myself I will fit into them again(  most likely will not) or just clothes I do not really like for one reason or another. 

But I am going to do it this time.  I really do not want them as they just take up space I need for the  things I love and wear. 👍👍👍👍🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

PS. I bought three new tops  and two pairs of pants yesterday on the Evine clearance....did Ineed them? HECK NO. So, more reason to start clearing  out  the old stuff🙂

Esteemed Contributor

I have clothes that I have had for two or three years that are in great shape as I rarely wore them. I liked them but I alse like some new items I saw beinng presented, so the clothes multiplied like rabbits. I know some should go and someone would benefit from them, but I hate to let them go.  The old saying that you wear 20% of what you own 80% of the time is very true.

My "resolution" for the year is to let some clothes go and also not to buy more shoes or handbags. I could open a shoe store and the 80/20 rule also applies to shoes and handbags I have.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

I have clothes that I have had for two or three years that are in great shape as I rarely wore them. I liked them but I alse like some new items I saw beinng presented, so the clothes multiplied like rabbits. I know some should go and someone would benefit from them, but I hate to let them go.  The old saying that you wear 20% of what you own 80% of the time is very true.

My "resolution" for the year is to let some clothes go and also not to buy more shoes or handbags. I could open a shoe store and the 80/20 rule also applies to shoes and handbags I have.

@KonaKat  I did get rid of 35 hand bags and now have  just 4 that I kept I knew I would use.  That was a major cleanout for me.   I also got rid of several pairs of shoes that I wore when I  working retail...  I have to go through my boots still....and I need to start on the clothes now....

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @wilma

As you know, I have an entire thread full of fashion confessions and resolutions!  Smiley LOL

If I had to narrow it down, I'd say that my biggest confession is shopping willy-nilly without thinking, whatever catches my fancy at the time, and cost be da@#ed, and then keeping things that aren't right for waaay too long.  My resolution is to stop doing that!!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@wilma  Congratulations on the weight loss!  

I have never felt like I bought too many clothes.  I do have a few blouses in my closet that still have the tags on them though, so I obviously didn't need them.  Now that I'm not working I don't need as many clothes as I used to.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have an odd habit when finding something I like. I tend, then, to buy it in almost every available shade. I am euphemistically a completitst -- a charming word for obsessive-compulsive.

It would be okay to a limited degree, but for example, I bought probably six or more striped tees in different colors. It needlessly clogs up my closet, and invariably I move on from such devotion anyway. It's a good thing  when it comes shoes if you have foot problems, though.

I resolve to relax this annoying habit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

After losing weight and donating most clothes that are too big, my wardrobe is very limited.  I have enough to get through the winter, but have almost nothing for the warm weather months.  I am not buying any clothes until March/April and when ordering from QVC, I won't be using easy pay.