Honored Contributor

#2 and #3 look fake even in the picture so they must really look bad in person.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@ECBG @jaxs mom @hopi @sunshine45

Wow, @ECBG thanks SO much! I have a Dennis Basso Platinum Line Jacket coming (zipper!!) but these are, indeed, fabulous!

I love the ponchos and vests (I'm in California, after all):

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 3.33.55 AM.png

14336tawfox.jpg

14300blnm.jpg

14233coyo.jpg

Now these bottom 3 look like the real deal; gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@SoX wrote:

I believe @winamac1 purchased one from this line a couple of years ago ... perhaps she can tell you about the quality.

I wanted to buy that white hooded coat, but the cost was just too high (for me) for what it was ... it's still listed at that same price ... two years later.

Hi SoX.  Yes, you have a great memory!  I did purchase one--last year!   It was one of Oprah's Favorite Things-cream colored jacket.  I got 20% off, I believe, for using the code Oprah.  It was $500 and I think I paid $400 or so.  Anyway, it is gorgeous and well made.  I do have it and do wear it!  It's lightweight--not a heavy jacket at all-it's kind of a mid-length on me.

Smiley Happy

https://www.google.com/search?q=oprah's+fabulous+things+fur+coat+2015&biw=1312&bih=812&tbm=isch&imgi...

https://www.google.com/search?q=oprah's+fabulous+things+fur+coat+2015&biw=1312&bih=812&tbm=isch&imgi...

@winamac1@SoXThe site has your coat marked as Oprah's Favorite, Win.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fablious Furs!

[ Edited ]

@SoX wrote:

@winamac1

Yep ... 2014.   It's a great-looking jacket, but still $499 after two years!  Maybe I'll catch another 30% off sale soon.  

I'm doing just okay ... having knee surgery in late January.   All those years of running has finally taken a toll.   You're okay, too?

Oh wow--I didn't know you were a runner.  That stinks that you are having knee surgery, but will pray it goes well--which I'm sure it will!  I'm ok.  DH got laid off for a few months this summer, but he got a job he loves in October.  He was pretty depressed during that time, but I knew something better would come through for him.  Thanks for asking.  

Let me know how the surgery goes!!

I didn't even know, SoX, that it ever went 30% off, LOL.  I see it's in other colors.  I bought the cream.  I wonder if it was even available in the other colors 2 years ago.  I only wanted the cream one for my coloring!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@SoX wrote:

I believe @winamac1 purchased one from this line a couple of years ago ... perhaps she can tell you about the quality.

I wanted to buy that white hooded coat, but the cost was just too high (for me) for what it was ... it's still listed at that same price ... two years later.

Hi SoX.  Yes, you have a great memory!  I did purchase one--last year!   It was one of Oprah's Favorite Things-cream colored jacket.  I got 20% off, I believe, for using the code Oprah.  It was $500 and I think I paid $400 or so.  Anyway, it is gorgeous and well made.  I do have it and do wear it!  It's lightweight--not a heavy jacket at all-it's kind of a mid-length on me.

Smiley Happy

@winamac1@SoXThe site has your coat marked as Oprah's Favorite, Win.

I know ECBG!  It was 2 years ago.  I got it for 20% off.  I expected to not love it and to send it back, but I kept it.  It is really pretty and appears to be very well made.  I wish it had been less than $400, but I didnt' think $400 was a bad deal!  It is one of my favs!

Honored Contributor

@winamac1@SahmIam@SoX@Luvitorleaveit1@songbird

There's 20%  coupon today!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG @winamac1 @SahmIam @Luvitorleaveit1 & all:

I just received by faux fur vest from fabulous furs. Rich deep brown, great fur.

Downside: Not the quality of a Dennnis Basso. NO INNER POCKETS AT ALL! Side pockets shallow. 

I'm spoiled by Dennis, and now have a cape and a Platinum Label jacket, beautifully made.

Lots of choices on their web site, but beware of quality, especially if you're used to Basso.

Valued Contributor

Donna Salyers was one of the first to sell high-end faux fur coats. I think she pre-dates Dennis Basso. She originally made and sold sewing how-to videos. Like Nancy Ziemann on "Sewing with Nancy." She started selling these incredible kits for sewing your own faux fur coat. That was about, oh, 20-25 years ago. The kits came with a pile of directions, all the notions, fur clips, luxurious satin linings, velvet for the inside of the pockets, and even embroidered initials so you could sew your mongram inside the coat just like in a real fur coat. And of course there was the fur. Her kits had the very best high-end faux fur available at the time. Truly scrumptious. I sewed a coat from one of her kits and still love it. Woman Very Happy

I haven't bought any of her coats so I can't say anything about the quality these days, but she was always a stickler for detail and quality in her furs. And the coats she sold used to all be made in the U.S.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

I just received by faux fur vest from fabulous furs. Rich deep brown, great fur.

Downside: Not the quality of a Dennnis Basso. NO INNER POCKETS AT ALL! Side pockets shallow. 

I'm spoiled by Dennis, and now have a cape and a Platinum Label jacket, beautifully made.

Lots of choices on their web site, but beware of quality, especially if you're used to Basso.

My jacket is actually better than Dennis Basso's jackets.  I have both.  It's lighter in weight, but I love that!    I actually just checked my jacket--paisley lining but no inner pockets.   

I can't speak to the quality of her vests as I don't own one. 

Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

My jacket is actually better than Dennis Basso's jackets.  I have both.  It's lighter in weight, but I love that!    I actually just checked my jacket--paisley lining but no inner pockets.   

I can't speak to the quality of her vests as I don't own one. 

@winamac1 @AuntMame

Glad to hear about the history of this company, thanks!

However, NO inner pockets is definitely a cost-cutter and makes the coat or vest less-useable. The Basso coats all have two DEEP inner pockets (one is the "glove" pocket, with elaborate folded tucks). Even the GILI faux fur vest (which I have) has the two deep inner pockets and deep outer side pockets.

I suspect that a company cuts costs to keep the profit reasonable. However, the Q may have more sales, hence they can keep the luxury touches. 

The price, however, on GILI, Basso, and Fab Furs vests is almost identical! Around $145. Inner pockets on furs are historically an expected essential.