Respected Contributor

My dgd and dd have a gala dinner to attend in Hollywood to celebrate some wonderful career opportunities for my pre teen dgd.

My dd was told to wear formal clothes...she has no idea where to look . She is on a budget..I She is 5’4 andcwears a size 6.

any ideas.  We are in a big metro area so there are lots of store.

tia

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1   Lord & Taylor always carries plenty of formal wear dresses.  Check it out online.  They also offer a variety of prices.  Cat Very Happy  P.S.  Sometimes you can find something reasonably priced at JCrew too.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

.  If you are in a large metro area, you know that you can find formal in any of the large department stores.  It's March and we're in the middle of prom and wedding anniversary season.  Take your pick...Lord&Taylor, Bloomingdales, Macy's, Nordstrom's.  David's Bridal also sells formal gowns.  And then there's Marshall's and TJ Maxx.  You're sure to find formal and semi formal dresses there at this time of the year.  

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1wrote:

My dgd and dd have a gala dinner to attend in Hollywood to celebrate some wonderful career opportunities for my pre teen dgd.

My dd was told to wear formal clothes...she has no idea where to look . She is on a budget..I She is 5’4 andcwears a size 6.

any ideas.  We are in a big metro area so there are lots of store.

tia

@sydsgma1. Sometimes checking bridal shops is a one stop shopping idea. They have so many bridesmaid dresses...styles have changed to be more formal dresses & less wedding...shoes, purses, jewelry available at same store. They can also order any dress you choose in many color options and in their size.

Esteemed Contributor

If DD is in the So Cal area, check out Macy's and Nordstrom's.  They have a good selection of formalwear.  Even Penney's.

Trusted Contributor

My go-to store is always Nordstrom.  Talk to one of their stylists,tell her the budget and the occasion,and watch them work their magic. They have great special occasion dresses at all price points.  Have fun shopping!

Respected Contributor

Re: FORMAL WEAR quest

[ Edited ]

I am on a budget, too, and my go-to store is JCPENNY.

There are some really nice formal wear that I found on their website. And almost all fo them are all under $100.

Here are some examples:

This one has 12 different color options. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 1.21.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 1.23.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 1.26.45 PM.png

You can go on their website to see more.

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1

I have found some dress bargains on 6pm.com, but also at Belk, Lord & Taylor and Amazon.  Just read reviews and/or cross reference with other sites.