Respected Contributor

Re: FINALLY CHANGING CLOSET OVER

I am about half done with the changeover.  Boy, have I purged, but still have way too much.   Too small and don't like I have 3 trash bags full to donate.  I always loved jackets, but find I now rather wear sweater long cardigans, so I have purged many jackets.

Last week, I took summer pants out of my pants closet and unpacked and hung the early Fall/Winter Pants.  I have a lot of all season pants hanging in this closet, so that is an easy switch.  I can put away summer pants early, but I still want to wear my crops/capris until it gets cold.

I also changed my armoire that contains top/cardigans.  Some are all seasons and I took the summer out and moved to shelves in back of the coat closet where I had stored the winter tops.  So that switch is done.

The big switch for pants is coming this week when I put away tons of crops and capris into trunks and take out heavy winter pants and corduroy jeans/pants.

Most of my sweaters except really heavy ones stay in drawers all year and I leave the heavy ones on the shelves in the back of the closet, so there is very little to do with sweaters. 

I still need to get out my fleece jackets, I have a lot that I wear instead of a heavy coat unless it i really cold and I put them in the closet that is all shelves where capris/crops are kept in summer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whew. I did get everything moved from top rods down to bottom two rods. Closet has 18' high ceilings. Job today is figuring out why there's so many sweaters, but only wear half of them.

I know some of them have deep v-necks and too bulky to wear a tee underneath. Those are finally going. The short cropped ones have been on top shelf for a few years waiting for a comeback. Not yet, so out. There are a few that are too big/long and a few that have tight banded bottoms that I'm always pulling down. Out, too. 

Once done, I won't keep looking through the pile, arranged by color, and passing over the same ones as last year. Getting dressed will be much easier. 

Honored Contributor

@crawford5153 wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Everything I own is in one closet & 2 dressers so there’s not much for me to do. I have separate dresser drawers in my bedroom for summer & winter tees, pjs, & sweaters so nothing to do there. 

I already moved summery items hanging in my closet to the back of the rod farthest away from the door. I also moved my winter shoes & boots forward on the closet floor and pushed summer shoes to the back. 

I have already worn worn a few fall sweaters & jackets. Love this time of year! 

Wilma, then you do not have that worry.  I have four closets of clothes and since I changed one bedroom to a walk in closet that eliminated me having to change over each year.  Thank God for that as with bad knnes not able to ohysically do that anymore.

@crawford5153 

I would love to have a walk-in closet, but my older home has small closets. At one time I discussed with DH about making one of the spare bedrooms a closet. Didn’t happen. Since then I have downsized my wardrobe quite a bit to fit in the space we have. 

Trusted Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@crawford5153 wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Everything I own is in one closet & 2 dressers so there’s not much for me to do. I have separate dresser drawers in my bedroom for summer & winter tees, pjs, & sweaters so nothing to do there. 

I already moved summery items hanging in my closet to the back of the rod farthest away from the door. I also moved my winter shoes & boots forward on the closet floor and pushed summer shoes to the back. 

I have already worn worn a few fall sweaters & jackets. Love this time of year! 

Wilma, then you do not have that worry.  I have four closets of clothes and since I changed one bedroom to a walk in closet that eliminated me having to change over each year.  Thank God for that as with bad knnes not able to ohysically do that anymore.

@crawford5153 

I would love to have a walk-in closet, but my older home has small closets. At one time I discussed with DH about making one of the spare bedrooms a closet. Didn’t happen. Since then I have downsized my wardrobe quite a bit to fit in the space we have. 

I was happy that DH obliged and even helped me with the wood shelves to put together to hold sweaters, the shoe organizer that had to be out together,  the rods for hanging clothes, etc.  Even with this I still have a walk in closet  in the bedroom and also a rod in a 10 by 10 storage room full of clothing.  I dearly HATE to part with one thing at all.  I would have no idea what if anything I would want to get rid of lol.