Trusted Contributor

Re: Eye Glasses --- Do you go more by your face shape or what's in style?

@AngelPuppy1 : Price is an issue but if my "perfect" pair is pricier than I wanted, I'd still go for it. My issue is that you try frames on without the prescription so can't really tell exactly how they will look. It's a real struggle for me. I get them back with the lense and am always a bit disappointed. Once I can see them on me clearly I'm not crazy about them.

Seems the harder I try to find that just right frame the less successful I am.

Now, I also get prescription sunglasses and for some reason I'm more relaxed about my choice and those I've wound up being happiest with and even gotten compliments on the frames. Every single time it's the same thing. One time I didn't realize I had picked out a frame in the men's section and wound up loving them. Constant compliments, which is not why I bought them, and wore those till they finally gave out.

My prescription doesn't change enough to warrant new glasses more frequently than 5years but it's time now so dreading the process.

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Xivambala 

I never wore contacts.  By the time I decided I wanted to try them, the eye doctor said -- no, your eyes are too dry and you have other eye issues which would not be good for contacts.  I was disappointed and thought --- really?  But I decided - o.k., maybe better not.  Lucky you!  I always wanted to get contacts in a really beautiful color --- such as a turqoise (sp) or a very vivid green!  Oh, well, I have to make due with my wishy washy blue/green color! 

@AngelPuppy1 I was told all those years ago I could not wear contacts. I called the AMA for a recommendation for a doctor that could help me because I was driving off the roads and just could not see well. I've found that I cannot wear soft lenses because they don't have enough correction. My first ophthalmologist also discovered a severe allergy to Thimerosal. As I aged and had difficulty reading, I needed to change to a different type of gas permeable lens that compensated for both my nearsightedness and the presbyopia. I was a MRI tech, and I just couldn't pull reading glasses on and off everytime I had to run into the scan room. They also would start to fly into the magnet when I ducked my head inside to talk to a patient. A big no-no. Dryness comes with ageing, and I can no longer wear them for the 14-16 hours a day that I used to. Moving to Florida with the high humidity had made a big difference though.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  Do you live near a Warby Parker? Last time I bought new frames I studied them online, made a list of about a dozen, went to the store, had a sales associate find them throughout the store and then leave me alone. I know what I like and don't like, so I don't need a helicopter SA.😄 If no store available, you might want to opt for choosing 5 pair to try at home.

I also have these Tory Burch (pink tortoise) and love how pink softens the sometimes harshness of certain tortoise frames. For me the size is neither too big nor to small.

51Rs9Qfad3L._AC_UL1500_.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buying eyeglasses is one of the most frustrating purchases I make. I can never see what I look like in the frames when I try them on. The way the frames are set on little holders in the store makes figuring out what they will look like on the face adds to my frustration. I'm ready for new glasses but I've been holding off going for an eye exam because of the virus. I'm almost ready to risk it though because I can't see my TV very well. My glasses are very old and I'm ready for new glasses. My face is oval and I have a small nose so I can probably wear any shape. My hair has gray in it with brown so I have to decide what color frames. I recently saw a guest on a TV show that was wearing a pair I like. I wish I would have written her name down so I could try to contact her to ask about her frames.

Honored Contributor

I go by the style that I want.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

My current frames are light as can be! I don't even know I have them on.  As for cat eye, I think some people really look cute in them! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

It's so nice that there are so many styles to pick from --- there should be one for everyone!  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

It is challenging!  I think this ranks right up there with bathing suits and jeans!  But this is probably even harder because you basically wear them every day! I hope you are able to find close to the ones you saw on TV!

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear 

I love those on a lot of people but I am just too fair for them!  Not a good choice for me!

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie 

I picked out a men's frame once and the woman there said -- no,no, you're trying on a man's frame.  I thought --- so?  It looks good -- if it fits and looks good --- so what! Yes, it is different when you actually get your lens in.  I think we can overthink and over look sometimes and get even more confused.  Good luck on your search!