Honored Contributor

Re: Eye Glasses --- Do you go more by your face shape or what's in style?

I go by the price first----can't believe how costly something that prob cost pennies to make can end up costing hundreds of dollars---RIP OFF--- and vision ins is a joke---I still pay $400-500 bucks for glasses. I know its the lens that get you---but  try to find on -sale frames, if I need them, and usually can find some that look good on my face. I keep my frames for as long as they are in good shape. Not really into the fashion part of it anymore

Super Contributor

Some people just don't care what eye wear will do for your face:

Shawn02.jpg

Valued Contributor

Hey I go to eye dr.Tuesday.Dont buy my glasses from them cause too expensive.I go to Walmart & have always been pleased with semi- rimless.
That said I cannot buy rimless cause glass too thick even shaved down to support the "arms".Also have to big enough for the progressive.
I do go toward lighter frames cause I'm so fair.Darker stands out too much & I think I would tire of them soon. Are too expensive even there not to last a while.
Goid lucj!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before buying - I highly suggest looking into 'dressing your truth'.

There's also this article that might help some:

my.liveyourtruth (dot) com/dyt/eyewear-mistakes

As far as cost - try on different options at the dr but don't buy from there. You can get much better deals at places like zenni optical (and another but the name escapes me). If I remember right, you can even upload a picture of yourself to see how they look. 

hth

Honored Contributor

I don't like making suggestions re: eyes, etc.

I was very happy at Lens Cr*fters.  Over a year ago, or so.

I haven't been back for my yearly exam because of these virus circumstances.

Anyway, they had an excellent selection of frames and lens sold together for a total of $99.  All types of frames and styles.

Now, I don't know if that combination is still available.  At the time, it wasn't a 'special', but a normal price.

If a person wants eyeglasses that they don't want to spend a fortune on, take a look at L.C.  

I've dropped mine several times in the wind and rain, thrown around my reading glasses, etc.  So I won't mind (more or less) if something bad happens to them.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Size. I have a very small face and have always had to find children's frames.  My choices are very limited to start with, because many children's frames are not appropriate in one way or another for adults (cutesy artwork on the frame someplace, etc.). I have had good luck with RayBan, Polo, etc.

Honored Contributor

Before my eye surgery and had to wear glasses all the time.  I picked whatever I liked and I thought looked good on me.  I dont let anyone dictate what I wear.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I do go by face shape. I have an oval face with high cheek bones, and I don't want a frame sitting on my cheek bones. Before buying new glasses, I check frames on websites. Lens Crafters is a site that has frame suggestions for face shapes. But I also prioritize.

1.Will the frame fit my progressive Rx

2.Face shape

3.Color

4.Does it compliment my face? I wear glasses daily and want to be pleased with how they look.

5.Is the frame contemporary & sophisticated without being over-the-top too trendy. What "statement" does the frame make on me?

Trusted Contributor

The best advice I was given when I was looking for glasses is that the pupil of our eye should be in the center of your eyeglass lens.  That's an easy way to tell if the frame is too wide or too narrow, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Yes, they are a big investment, as well! I don't wear mine all the time but most of the time and I wear bi-focals.  I tried progressives and didn't get acclimated well.  I am the same - can't handle heavy frames either.  I currently have plastic frames that are light as a feather.  I love them but am growing bored!  Hope you find something really pretty!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin