Frequent Contributor

I received a Chadwicks catalog in the mail yesterday and saw so many cute items i’m considering.  Just curious, since I don’t have buying experience with this company, how is the quality overall? I am wondering if it’s one of those situations where the items look great in the beautifully-laid out catalog, but disappointing in person for the price?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Experience with Chadwicks?

[ Edited ]

@PugdogMom 

Your name made me laugh!  I pet sit for a friend that has a littlle Pug and he is such a sweet boy.  So quiet!  He is older, so moves a little slow, but he's a love-bug.

Anyway, I cannot speak to the current Chadwick's, but 85% of my work clothes were purchased from them in the past.  They used to have lots of rayon/linen suits that were beautiful, and well made. 

In the fall/winter, I would buy their wool offerings....blazers and skirts.  They were not pure wool, but a nice fabric that held up well to dry cleaning.

I gave away all my suits after I retired, but kept two long velveteen coats that I still wear.  They have to be over 20 years old!

Not sure how they are now, but I always had good luck with their clothing. 

Frequent Contributor

I bought from them years ago...like over 25+ years ago....I had a blast from the past when I saw your post!! I didnt think they were still in business. I remember they carried really cute trendy  preppy style sweaters...I bought a dress from them for work.. it was so cute yet very work appropriate and I loved it. They had nice quality clothes, basic classic styling that you could afford a few pieces and get alot of wear from. They were great for the stage of my life, having babies, needing work wardrobe while battling post baby pounds, not a big budget to spend...I kind of hoping I get a catalogue to see what they offer now!!

Honored Contributor

I did buy from them about 30 years ago. I don’t remember much about the clothes, but I guess I was satisfied as I kept on buying.

Honored Contributor

I cannot speak for Chadwicks or it's sister Jessica London that sells plus size clothes now.  I haven't bought anything from either of them for at least 10 years but from my earliers working girl days until then, I bought much if not most of my work clothes from those catalogs.  The quality was great, the styles were superb I had no fit problems.  Even when I was wearing size 24 and 26. 

Honored Contributor

I used to order from Chadwicks a lot many moons ago.  Everything I bought was a good quality for the price and I had no sizing problems.

I suggest you buy 1 item and see what you think.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I did not know Chadwick's was still in business.  This must be a new incarnation.  Frankly my exeperience with the former Chadwick's dates back 20 years. I have not seen the new catalog, but in the past they were decent reliable place to buy basic career items such as  shirts, tees and shells for wearing under suits (a must have for a work wardrobe 20 years ago).  A particular item I remember they featured were blazers.  In spring/summer they had a linen/rayon blen and for fall/winter it was a wool blend.  They offered these blazers in a Crayola box of crayons color array and if my recall is correct these blazers were never priced higher than $50.  Because colorful blazers were not easy to find I did buy several of the blazers.  For example: $50 for a decent wool pink blazer I was not going to wear a lot was a great buy.  At one time I think I had about 6 of the linen, and 6 or 8 of the wool blazers.  Other items were ok and my overall opinion was that Chadwick's was quite suitable for outfitting yourself and keeping the budget in check. 

I'm going to seek out a copy of the new Chadwick's catalog. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't realize they were still in business either.

My experience with them is 25+ years ago. The one thing I remember from ordering clothing from them is that they used to have a lot of backordered items but you never knew that until you received a partial order.  Sometimes I would order entire outfits to go together and then 2 of the 3 pieces would be delivered and the third would be backordered and was the key piece to the outfit. Sometimes I'd never get the third piece so the other 2 would go back or I'd be stuck trying to find something similar to what I had ordered.  

Honored Contributor

A retailer from the past.  They stopped sending me catalogs and I forgot about them. 

I bought a few cotton blazers about 25 years ago.  Surprisingly good quality for the price at that time.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PugdogMom 

I have been buying from Chadwick’s for 30 years! I have been satisfied with the majority of my purchases. Over the years I have bought everything: tanks, blazers, skirts, dresses, outerwear, tees, etc. The quality is good, and the prices are reasonable. Their shipping is high. My most recent purchase was a cardigan & tank set on sale just a few weeks ago. Great set at a good sale price.