Honored Contributor

Re: Everything Velvet & 70's Style

[ Edited ]

@newjerseygirl - you found a beautiful jacket & a great price! Love the jacket details.

With so many retailers offering velvet,  there s/b some great after season buys. I'm on the hunt for a pair of velvet shoes and a new top, dress or jacket. 

There is an interesting fashion blog that recently featured velvet - TomandLorenzo dot com.They also have a forum called Bitter Kittens.

Translating-The-Trends-Fall-2016-Collection-Velvet-Fashion-Accessories-Bags-Shoes-Jewelry-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-2.jpg

Kenzo | Luisa Beccaria | M. Martin | Mara Hoffman | Marc Jacobs
Marni | Monse | Nicholas K | Opening Ceremony | Oscar de la Renta
Osman | Peter Pilotto | Philosophy di Lorenzo Serafini | Prabal Gurung | Prada
Preen | Rachel Zoe | Ralph Lauren | Roberto Cavalli | Rochas
Roland Mouret | Rosie Assoulin | Schiaparelli | Sophie Theallet | Stella McCartney
Trussardi | Ulla Johnson | Valentino | Vanessa Seward | Vetements

Translating-The-Trends-Fall-2016-Collection-Velvet-Fashion-Accessories-Bags-Shoes-Jewelry-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-1.jpg

3.1 Phillip Lim | Adam Selman | Aigner | Akris | Alberta Ferretti
Antonio Berardi | Armani Prive | Balmain | Bottega Veneta | Dennis Basso
Derek Lam | Desigual | DKNY | Dolce&Gabbana | Dries Van Noten
Elie Saab | Elie Tahari | Ellery | Etro | Fendi
Gabrielle Colangelo | Giambattista Valli | Givenchy | Gucci | H&M
Haider Ackermann | Holly Fulton | Jason Wu | Jill Stuart | Joseph

Like the trend for purple this season, the velvet trend, if it has any legs at all, will be fueled in large part by Prince’s death, even though all of the above designs walked runways while he was still with us. But sometimes synchronicity between runway and the real world happens, and the time is more than ripe for a Paisley Park-inspired fashion trend.

But here’s the T Lo thinking about velvet: On grownups, it works much, much better as an accent. We featured two stars wearing velvet ensembles to Fashion Week this week, Ruth Negga and Iman. And while their outfits help support the case that this is a trend for fall, they also tend to highlight just how difficult it is to work an entire outfit of velvet.

For people who aren’t actresses and supermodels, it’s working fashion at a very high difficulty level. By all means, if you think you can rock an all-velvet ensemble, go for it. Velvet’s not wrong, but it’s tricky.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

New velvet fashions from Nordstrom

_13397864.jpg

Willow & Clay Keyhole Velvet Bodysuit

$58.00
Free Shipping
Item #5264361

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

_13298625.jpg

BLANKNYC Velvet Flare Pants

$98.00
Free Shipping
Item #5238367

Honored Contributor

I had a black velvet blazer with blinged out star shaped buttons in the early 70's that I wore to death. I still love the Boho style, but at my age I need to dial it way back.LOL

Trusted Contributor

I love velvet but sadly I always feel 10 pounds heavier when I wear it. AGGGHHH! Smiley Embarassed 

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Heart Superga Heart 3 Velvet options- black, blue & violet at HSN. The blue jumped in my cart, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

Superga® Classic Velvet Lace-Up Sneaker
516-598
Superga Classic Velvet Lace-Up Sneaker
Superga Classic Velvet Lace-Up Sneaker

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad to see these jeans!!  I have 3 pairs of velour 5-pocket, straight-leg jeans from the old Coldwater Creek that still fit me perfectly.  I haven't worn them in 3 winters, but they're still in my closet.  So happy I kept them.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

Yes, I got these a few weeks ago and hope to get the paisley ones next week.

black diba.jpgdiba paisley.jpg

`

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Respected Contributor

BIrdmama - and, I am kinda digging those boots 🙂!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

MarlaWynne is back again - wowie! Loving the chocolate brown velvet Heart 

MarlaWynne Velveteen Drama Topper with Printed Lining

511-313

MarlaWynne Velveteen Drama Topper with Printed Lining