Super Contributor
On 9/25/2014 Perkup said:
On 9/24/2014 ical said:

OMG! In this on-air presentation, which is over 16 minutes long, with Joan on-air live throughout the entire presentation (on her feet)…look what she does at the 16:00 mark!

She dances!!! Who does this in their 80's!? What a remarkable woman she was!

http://www.qvc.com/Joan-Rivers-Floral-Bouquet-34-Sleeve-Jacket.product.A230583.html?sc=A230583-User...

Do you know anyone over 60? You make it sound like no one in their 80's is capable of doing anything except sitting in a hypnotic trance in a wheelchair. DH is 95 and not only dances with me almost daily, but does a mean Buck & Wing on the side. There are lots of us who have lived well into our retirement years, who still not only know a thing or two, but can put on a pretty good show. There are millions of us who still lead very active lives. However, we all know that the day (or night) will come when God says it's time to go, and we have to follow. Apparently Joan's dance was over, and as a little guy said in my Sunday School class, when God gets your room ready you have to check in.

You forgot to put in bold the beginning part. She did this after doing a LIVE on-air presentation, standing up, for over 16 minutes! Then she dances at the end! Wow! And honestly, I do not know anyone who is in their 80's, who not only designed the pattern on a fabric, but also designed the garment. And on top of that, presented the garment, joked on-and-off throughout the presentation, spoke on-air-live to a customer, interacted with the crew and the models and the host and cold "looking at you" cameras--all while standing!

I also do not like comments which state "you make it sound". Why? Because what you hear is being heard in your head as the reader reads it. If you wanted to know what I meant, ask. So I explained it anyway, despite not being asked.

But anyway!

"Let's Dance!"

Classic Bowie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH951Ufr5dU

Respected Contributor

Ical, please read your own comment highlighted above. "She dances!!! Who does this in their 80's? What a remarkable woman she was!"

Still say it sounds like you don't think anyone near the age of 80 is capable of much of anything. I rest my case, knowing that there are millions of us over 80's who can do pretty much anything we want to do. We aren't handicapped or incapable. Does this mean we are all remarkable?

Personally I go pretty hard all day - more like 18 hours, standing most of the time, and then sometimes I dance. I must be truly amazing!! Or maybe I'm just normal????

As someone said, "I HOPE YOU DANCE!"

Super Contributor
On 9/27/2014 Perkup said:

Ical, please read your own comment highlighted above. "She dances!!! Who does this in their 80's? What a remarkable woman she was!"

Still say it sounds like you don't think anyone near the age of 80 is capable of much of anything. I rest my case, knowing that there are millions of us over 80's who can do pretty much anything we want to do. We aren't handicapped or incapable. Does this mean we are all remarkable?

Personally I go pretty hard all day - more like 18 hours, standing most of the time, and then sometimes I dance. I must be truly amazing!! Or maybe I'm just normal????

As someone said, "I HOPE YOU DANCE!"

Oh please. You are clearly taking something out of context, and I am the one who wrote the comment, so please do not tell me what I mean or meant or find some hidden message where none exists. Really. I mean, come on. This is so silly.

Honored Contributor
On 9/27/2014 ical said:

Oh please. You are clearly taking something out of context, and I am the one who wrote the comment, so please do not tell me what I mean or meant or find some hidden message where none exists. Really. I mean, come on. This is so silly.

I wouldn't worry, ical. You clearly didn't mean any insult to anyone else, you were just trying to show Joan some respect. She accomplished a lot in her life and overcame many obstacles that would've sidelined someone less determined.

Does that mean there is no one else in the world who has done the same? Of course not. But I'd expect anyone else "in their 80s" to have learned not to be so sensitive.

And if anyone really does go hard at it for 18 hours a day (leaving only 6 for regenerative sleep), mostly standing up and then dances (leaving even less sleep time)...well, I'd say that's amazing whatever age you are! I certainly couldn't do it and I'm nowhere near 80! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Frequent Contributor
On 9/27/2014 Venezia said:
On 9/27/2014 ical said:

I wouldn't worry, ical. You clearly didn't mean any insult to anyone else, you were just trying to show Joan some respect. She accomplished a lot in her life and overcame many obstacles that would've sidelined someone less determined.

Does that mean there is no one else in the world who has done the same? Of course not. But I'd expect anyone else "in their 80s" to have learned not to be so sensitive.

And if anyone really does go hard at it for 18 hours a day (leaving only 6 for regenerative sleep), mostly standing up and then dances (leaving even less sleep time)...well, I'd say that's amazing whatever age you are! I certainly couldn't do it and I'm nowhere near 80! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

"And if anyone really does go hard at it for 18 hours a day (leaving only 6 for regenerative sleep), mostly standing up and then dances (leaving even less sleep time)...well, I'd say that's amazing whatever age you are! I certainly couldn't do it and I'm nowhere near 80! {#emotions_dlg.blink}"

Same here! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

I just have to say this and not meaning to take anything away from Joan who I deeply admire but I am a dancer and believe me my friends are well into their 80's and still dancing up a storm. I can only hope for myself and hubby that I can do as well.

My dance teacher (s) are in their mid to upper seventies and one in particular is 85. They can dance around any of us and hopefully they are not done yet. This is full ballroom dancing, top speed for 2-4 hour time periods two or three times a week with little or no break to even sit and talk to our friends.

Frequent Contributor

All we've got is now. Make the most of it with whatever life gives you. Joan certainly did!

Super Contributor
On 9/27/2014 CrowHaven said:

All we've got is now. Make the most of it with whatever life gives you. Joan certainly did!

Yes she did! She did it now! And the second I can move, I'm going to dance, lol! Ouch.

But look at this calendar, just with, mostly, her standup routines, still scheduled. It is incomplete, of course, because Fashion Police, her flying coast to coast and back again, her on-line show In Bed with Joan, and not all her QVC, interviews, book tours, etc, etc. are on it!

But look at this from her site! What an amazing amount of energy!

http://joanrivers.com/appearances/

Here is what some of them say:

Joan will be performing her uncensored, uninhibited standup comedy.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

I know many people in their 80's that are very active, but still not at the level of Joan Rivers. She traveled so much, had her company, QVC appearances, her live performances, TV appearances and regular shows, etc. An exceptional person--Joan Rivers. She is missed.