Honored Contributor

Re: Even the Designers Don't Understand Sizing

@Desertdi wrote:

And, not all "shorties" are petite........I have BROAD shoulders......WAY wider than my hips (!!)

@Desertdi That's true too.  I generally wear regular sized tops because of my broad shoulders although for patterns I have to shorten the shoulder to waist line, so I'm stlll a petite vertically, just not through the shoulders.  That really only matters in fitted clothing or dresses.  

Honored Contributor

@Whosits wrote:

I really wouldn't expect Giuliana Ransic to know much about real design. I'm sure she knows certain things... for her body type which I would think is extremely atypical. 

Well not extremely....  I'm about her size.  Models are that size.  There are certainly thin women on this planet .About 1 billion Chinese women are on this earth.  And a good portion of them are just as thin. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

And, not all "shorties" are petite........I have BROAD shoulders......WAY wider than my hips (!!)

@Desertdi   We both sound like inverted triangle shapes. I need size 2 pants, but a size 8 or medium top to accommodate my shoulders. Fear not. Many models are built like us...

@Shanus                         ! !

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Whosits wrote:

I really wouldn't expect Giuliana Ransic to know much about real design. I'm sure she knows certain things... for her body type which I would think is extremely atypical. 

I really don't know who she is, whether she is a real desgner or not.  But, since that is her job she should know the difference in regular, petite, and tall sizing.  She's not the only one though.  It just happened that she was the one who was on and making those comments at the time.  I know hosts do it all the time, but I don't necessarily expect them to understand since they are just there to sell things, all kinds of things.  

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Just because you're short doesn't mean you can wear petite sizes.

I'm 5'1", the rise on petite pants is too short for me as is the length of the pants.  It looks like I'm wearing camel toed high waters.

The point of the post was not to say that all women under a certain height wore petite clothing; but, that there is a difference in petite sizing besides the hem or inseam length which obviously you understand.  

Honored Contributor

Giuliana's father is Eduardo DePandi....a master tailor in Washington, DC

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I think some designers know there is more of a difference but do only make things shorter. I'm 5'3"  and I'm long waisted so I could never wear a true petite. Petites that are just shorter work better for me when I need something shorter.