Honored Contributor

Re: No, I don't fit the bill. But when I think of models, I...

It does seem by looking at these that most of the models are purposely 

given a no makeup look and some even made to look exhausted or on something with red under the eyes etc, and yes as bad as they can look.

I agree, it is a big distraction from the "fashions."

I remember reading that models are told not to smile as it detracts from the clothes but I think it has the opposite affect. And this looks like it is going way overboard on most.

Katia on QVC used to really stand out because she came from the runway stomping and scowling and so many commented on it. Stood out in a strange way. 

Then I think someone must have told her the QVC way.  Now she shows her beautiful smile and I find when she is modeling something, she looks so good and happy to be wearing what she is that I do look at what she is wearing. I think if she likes it, maybe I would. (even though I can't compare to her!).Yes, I'm an easy draw for a great smile.

So I think these runway designers maybe don't have a clue if they really want people to see their designs.

Hey, maybe they don't!😄😎

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Even More NY Fashion Week 9/2021 SS-2022

@shaggygirl wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Citrine1 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Besides, the industry has changed.  Thank the heavens for that!  The focus should be on the garments and not the model (imo).

What do you think of the clothing?  You can buy these items.  You can't buy the models.....

@gertrudecloset 

If the focus is supposed to be on the garments and not the models then why do they use models who have faces and bodies that you can't get past looking at and wondering what the h*** happened to her to make her so bone thin and scary looking. By the time you (or just me if you prefer) get over the shock of their looks they've already passed you (or again just me if you prefer) by on the runway and no clue what they were wearing. 

Why are you asking me @shaggygirl ?  I don't produce fashion shows and decide runway looks.  They have producers that do this.  Determine makeup, outfit and all and then send them down the runway. They also do the casting.  Designers cast their girls for shows like a director would for a movie.

You can appeal to each designer you wish to get some non skinny lil things to be models in their shows.  For as long as I can remember they have been wayf looking.  Just look at the garments caus you can't do jack about the women modeling.

@gertrudecloset 

I asked you because I thought you were the expert in the field of all things fashion related on this board. Perhaps I am confusing you with someone else. 

@shaggygirl I hope you don't think I believe this.  I just posted fashions like other people here do.  Some post pics of stars out and about, of fashion shows, runways looks and more.  Since when does that qualify someone a fashion expert because they want to discuss more than joggers and jean jackets?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

These models with their scowling manly expressions, do nothing to enhance the clothing.
Trusted Contributor

Re: No, I don't fit the bill. But when I think of models, I...

@tends2dogs wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

You don't need a pretty face to be a runway model just skinny with broad shoulders and no boobs.  

Is that why it looks as if they are using young men?  Broad shoulders and no boobs?  Some of them are made up to look pretty though.  

As a curvy woman, I've always thought that that that's who the designers are drawing and creating for.....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

It does seem by looking at these that most of the models are purposely 

given a no makeup look and some even made to look exhausted or on something with red under the eyes etc, and yes as bad as they can look.

I agree, it is a big distraction from the "fashions."

I remember reading that models are told not to smile as it detracts from the clothes but I think it has the opposite affect. And this looks like it is going way overboard on most.

Katia on QVC used to really stand out because she came from the runway stomping and scowling and so many commented on it. Stood out in a strange way. 

Then I think someone must have told her the QVC way.  Now she shows her beautiful smile and I find when she is modeling something, she looks so good and happy to be wearing what she is that I do look at what she is wearing. I think if she likes it, maybe I would. (even though I can't compare to her!).Yes, I'm an easy draw for a great smile.

So I think these runway designers maybe don't have a clue if they really want people to see their designs.

Hey, maybe they don't!😄😎

@on the bay There is no comparison between a tv model and a runway model.  None whatsoever.  The ony thing similar could be the person is a former runway model.  Some don't cat walk anymore (like Naomi did).  They have no sway and just walk.

Then there are swimsuit models.  Then there are print models, then there are hand models, then there are foot models, then there are website store models which are sometimes computer generated (AI), then there are.....you get it!  LOL

62 Best Black girl emojis 4 images in 2018 | Emoji, Emoji ...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candyagain wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

You don't need a pretty face to be a runway model just skinny with broad shoulders and no boobs.  

Is that why it looks as if they are using young men?  Broad shoulders and no boobs?  Some of them are made up to look pretty though.  

As a curvy woman, I've always thought that that that's who the designers are drawing and creating for.....

It has been, but like I said the industry is changing.  We have full figured models like Ashley Graham to thank for that.  The designer duds that hit runways are all modeled by taller, thin, wayf look women.  The designer's team hires who they want.  Some models work exclusively with a particular designer too.

ASHLEY GRAHAM at British Fashion Awards 2017 in London 12 ...

Ashley Graham - 2018 Vanity Fair Oscar Party in Beverly ...

Respected Contributor

That red gown is spectacular. Dramatic but spectacular. It's really the only garment that caught my eye.

Esteemed Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
These models with their scowling manly expressions, do nothing to enhance the clothing.

@Steffdoggy10 somehow the creators (designers don't seem to care).  Why should you?

Trusted Contributor

Gertrudecloset. I’m stating my observation, why would you have a problem with that?
Esteemed Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
Gertrudecloset. I’m stating my observation, why would you have a problem with that?

It shouldn't be about the women.  It should be about the clothing.  @Steffdoggy10 .  I don't have a problem with what you said.  Just stating a fact.  If their faces mattered, the designers would likely not cast them to begin with.  They did, so whatever your description is of these women is moot.

Periodttttt.