Super Contributor

Its turned a good bit cooler and since Labor Day is next week I spent a few hours today going through my clothes. I steamed organized and folded things for the cooler months. This process shows me I need very little and helps me know what I have. I left some transitional pieces in my closet for warmer days. I may pick up a plaid blazer if I see one and a new pair of Chelsea boots but I am pretty set for the upcoming months.

I did take time to put some summer things away and store for next spring in a guest room. I know some people keep everything in one closet but I like getting ready with less to choose from. I began a couple of years ago to hang dry alot of my clothes so they hold up better and last longer.I have learned some expensive lessons in buying nice things  only to hang in my closet and  not wear. I try much harder to discern my purchases better. Even deep sales , I try and be more cautious about. 

I would love to hear how others plan to organize  their clothes for the Fall. 

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

Re: Evaluating My Fall Wardrobe

Other than getting out a few coats everything I need is in my closet already so I’m set for whatever. I probably have fewer clothes than most shoppers here I would imagine though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RhondaRena  The last time I cleaned/purged my closet in Jan/Feb, I put every single piece of clothing on and looked at myself in the mirror. It took about a week - 10 days, but worth the extra time/process. I was able to purge a LOT more than I would have otherwise. 

That process may seem overwhelming for most folks, but I'll tell you, it works! I even did it with shoes/boots. One would be surprised how many either don't fit right anymore and become uncomfortable to wear over time no matter how well you take care of them. Depending on the shoe/type/brand, the material used can become stiff...and one's taste does change.

Although many of the items I purged were new-never worn, like new or gently worn, most of them didn't fit on me anymore (I have lost over 50 lbs) and or my taste has changed.

If I just went by the size of the clothing and just got rid of the largest couple of sizes, I STILL would not have purged all the clothes I needed to because I still loved all the clothes I bought over the years. By actually putting each piece on AND looking at myself in the mirror, it was either a yay or nay. I didn't keep anything that was just 'ok'. Why have clothes in the closet taking up space that would more than likely not be worn?

And this might interest some folks to know...

When I finally got into a size large again, all the size large clothes I saved for the past 10 -15+ years praying I'd fit back into eventually, 90% of those went to Goodwill too because being 1-2 decades older, those clothes don't look good on me anymore! So for those that are saving several sizes of clothing for 'someday'...the longer you postpone losing the weight to get back into them, the higher the chance you won't wear them anyway.

To help put things into perspective/reality, I started to gain weight in my mid-40's after my lung cancer surgery and then several other health issues back to back in the years to follow.

I will be 60 at the end of this year.

My goal is to be in a M/12 by the end of the year. I'm currently a size L/14. I'll never get into a size S/8 again, but I will be happy at M/12.

Now when I go to my closet, it's a pleasure to stand in front and choose...no matter what I pick out to wear, it will look great on Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@RhondaRena  The last time I cleaned/purged my closet in Jan/Feb, I put every single piece of clothing on. It took about a week - 10 days, but worth the extra time/process. I was able to purge a LOT more than I would have otherwise.

Although many of the items I purges were like new or gently worn, most of them didn't fit on me anymore (I have lost over 50 lbs) and or my taste has changed.

If I just went by the size of the clothing and just got rid of the largest couple of sizes, I STILL would not have purged all the clothes I needed to because I still loved all the clothes I bought over the years. By actually putting each piece on, it was either a yay or nay. I didn't keep anything that was just 'ok'. Why have clothes in the closet taking up space that would more than likely not be worn?

Now when I go to my closet, it's a pleasure to stand in front and choose...no matter what I pick out to wear, it will look great on Smiley Very Happy

I agree. I do keep a few things that fit a little loose when my hormones are not cooperatingSmiley Happy

Floral Pillow
Super Contributor

Thanks so much for describing your process! I would love to be as organized as you are. I have not gotten my fall clothing together yet since I am one of those who is sorry to see summer leave... I love my sandalsHeart Since it is getting cooler here too, I think I am going to try your method!

Honored Contributor

I meant to put spring sweaters out of my way today, but my afternoon had it's own agenda.

My fall is very easy to work with and I pick up items in my "colors" whenever I see them.

"My" fall consists of black, deep chocolate, navy, deeper grays, burgandy through pinks, true red, true green, forest green,  purple, white and eggshell, not tan or beige. 

Esteemed Contributor

We never get much summer here, so my fall activity mainly consists of me swearing about who forgot to put all the jackets in the wash last spring.  Since I am now alone, not too many to accuse!

Honored Contributor

I don't think I need much for Fall/Winter.  

I bought a lot of stuff on sale after last Winter, and worked on some sweaters over the summer.

Only things I'm thinking about are hats and scarves.  

Respected Contributor

I am trying to hold back from ordering any fall or winter clothes. I lost 20lbs since last winter and have no idea what to expect of my cold weather wardrobe. So until I find out, I don’t wanna add new pieces. I have a bad feeling most of my sweaters are too big but I’m not looking into it until about mid October. 

Trusted Contributor

I keep all of my off-season clothes in those cubes that the Q sold as a TSV the other day. (I used to keep them in the guest room dresser, but the guests protest!)

I purge before I put away my stuff from that last season for the next so I have less stuff to store.

I also try on every piece of clothing I own to see how it fits and whether I want it. This is a very important step to reduce clutter and really shows you what you have. I love what I have in my fall/winter collection and only need a very few items to update this year. I will put my spring/summer clothes away the last week of September because it will still be in the 80s here.

One of the items I wanted to add to my fall/winter collection is a pair of cool olive skinny pants. I found the exact pair I need today at Talbots for 25% off. This is the first piece of olive clothing that I have ever bought. I am a soft summer so warm khaki olive would not suit me so I found a cool basil shade that I can pull off. This will update my wardrobe a lot and give new life to some of my cool weather clothes.

I have not decided what else I need at this time. As I get older I realize that I don't need as much as I used to think and never want to waste as much money as I used to so I will watch and see what might extend my wardrobe. I don't want anything to just sit there. This thoughtful process really works for me. At 53 I finally realize that I was wasting money and I want to stop doing that--forever.