Respected Contributor

Re: Entire shops devoted to petite's Remember?

I sure remember Petite Sophisticate and House of Nine (sold only sizes 3, 5 7 and 9) and spent much of my shopping time at those stores.  Got some really beautiful Italian knits at House of Nine and many other great clothes.  I also had small feet and loved Cinderella of Boston (sold shoe sizes 1 through 5)  When I was young it was basically impossible to find clothes in petite sizes in boutiques and department stores.  I remember when sizes mostly started at size 10.  A size 8 was hard to find, let alone anything smaller.  I can remember occasionally finding a size 6 in a store and even that was a little big for me.  Thank goodness my mother was a pattern maker and seamstress.

Super Contributor

In San Diego in the early 1980s we had a store called The Grewt American Short Story.  I loved that I could go inside and know that everything could fit me!  Then the department stores started petite sections which spelled the demise for that shop.  Oh, and in high school there was a cute boutique in La Jolla called Petit Pigeon for whom I modeled....forgot about that!  Now...who knows....all mail order?  I miss the old shops!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I do remember Petite Sophisticate back in the day.  Pretty things, too short for me but they had some pretty scarves.

Were there more stores?

Wow!  Did you just spark a memory for me @ECBG!

My mama used to take me shopping there all the time.  In High School she & I wore the same size.  We liked the same styles (I know...unusual for a high school girl & her mama), so we could buy for both for us! 

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I, too, remember Petite Sophisticate!  My mother shopped there for her wardrobe in the 1980's.  I always thought she looked so nice for work.  It was gone from our local mall by the time I began my professional career.  I am 4'11 so even petite lengths have to be hemmed on me.  Funny memory though...in senior high in the 80's, our principal didn't allow mini skirts.  Well...they were long skirts on me so I got to wear them!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@mariadomenica wrote:

I am 5'2"...Unless it is a petite everything looks ridiculous on me.  I am 105 pounds.  I like Macy's.com as many offerings are in petite.  I do feel Logo has gotten prettier over the years.  In the beginning it looked like circus clothing !  However the prices are out of my budget...and besides hardly any petite.   

@mariadomenica 

The length of logo is mostly ridiculous! I too am 5'2 and while I have a couple of her woven pieces that aren't so long I just put a couple of tanks in the donation pile today because it's just way too much fabric to try to tuck!

A while back she commented that people were asking for shorter lengths and that she was going to do it but I've yet to see it happen

Esteemed Contributor

I remember Petite Sophisticate, but mainly because they were usually next to Casual Corner (loved those stores). I’m not sure which would be more difficult to dress - a very tall person or petite. Seems like they both have the least options (and I’m saying that as a plus sized person)
Valued Contributor

Now that I'm retired, I look back over these stores with fondness Smiley Happy  

I was in banking and insurance and we all wore dry clean only suits in the 80's and 90's.  I live in a town with a ton of tall ladies so PS stores were the only place I could shop and know there was something there that fit without a tailor.

I used to drive to Detroit (the malls there had lots of petite stores) and visit a friend just so I could pick up a few cute dresses.

SO happy that I no longer have to be concerned with being dressed up on a daily basis!  

Respected Contributor

The Tall Shop. 😍

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo @Funny that I thought of you as tall from all of outfit pictures.

Honored Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@Whosits wrote:

I was just remebering the days when there were entire stores that were for petite. The problem with those however is there was nothing for plus size. In those days petite meant small all over. Oh how I wish I could for a tailor!

@Whosits    Macy's is still my go to place for petites as well as Boscov's.   

Boscov's actually took over a large store in the Neshaminy Mall, just for it's petite clothes. It had an unbelieveable large selection of clothes. And had every type of casual clothing all the way to dressy dresses. 

It was quite impressive. Sadly it didn't last. But they still have a nice selection of petite clothing in the regular Boscov's store.