Respected Contributor

I am so tired of the peplum style, the sharkbite hems and the high/low hemlines.  I am pearshaped and all of these styles make me look heavier than my 5'5 149 lb. frame!  Talk about accenting the hip and butt area!  These are not for me. !!

Respected Contributor

I agree.  My problem is I am apple shaped.  I have a belly and no hips and these tops make me look too round in that area.  Why can't they have regular tops and peplum type tops.  I will never understand why every year there is a certain style they make and everyone has to wear it.  Because I am 5' 3"  everything is too long also.  I guess I am doomed to wear the same thing every year.

Contributor

Re: Enough of the peplum!

[ Edited ]

I agree as well. If you even look at some of the thin, tall models these tops make them look heavier. 

I have a few shark bite tops and what I'm doing is tying them in a knot at the hips. Much better look and very slimming.

Honored Contributor

I agree - thatv look is only attractive on the very thin.

Trusted Contributor

Enough of the cold shoulder as well.   UGH !

Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I agree - thatv look is only attractive on the very thin.

I'm thin and 5'4" and I look terrible in these types of top. So much fabric. I have about 2 of them and as I stated previously I am gathering the ends into a knot at my hips and it's a much better look.

Respected Contributor

Yes, and those awful bell sleeves!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

A peplum geneally looks good on me.  I draw the line, though, at shark bite tops, too high and too low tops, cold shoulder, and bell sleeves.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor
I agree -- I didn't look good in peplum styles in the late 1980s and still don't. I'm @ 5'4", @106-108 lbs. I have a straight up and down shape: no hips, no chest, broad shoulders. Bought one Mizrahi peplum style top a couple years ago -- wore it twice and donated it. Middle seam hit just under my nearly non-existent bustline. Not a flattering look on me at all!
Trusted Contributor

My issue with peplum, sharkbite hems, high-low hems, cold shoulders, etc., is that they are very trendy/fad driven. I prefer more universal styles that will stand the test of time.  I am not willing to spend $50-$75 on a top that I won't want to wear next year because it is not in style.  I am not a fuddy-duddy, wearing only ultra-conservative clothes, just someone who wants good clothes that I can wear season after season.