Esteemed Contributor

Re: Easter outfits when you were little

We were also there with our hats/white pocketbooks..new dresses/coats. and patent leather shoes!!...........It was also

always dressing up for the holidays of Christmas & Thanksgiving..........it always made the holidays so much

more special to me.....i miss it now...i did dress my little ones fancy for a while w/the holidays...but my relatives didn't so we finally stopped that................now it is jeans

and casual wear.......like most any other day.....sad....

Respected Contributor

In the 60’s my mom bought us frilly dresses almost like tutus with scratchy slips underneath,  a new patent or straw handbag, white patent shoes and a beautiful new hat.  I still have all the pics and I loved dressing up.  My sister not so much.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kelsey17wrote:

We were also there with our hats/white pocketbooks..new dresses/coats. and patent leather shoes!!...........It was also

always dressing up for the holidays of Christmas & Thanksgiving..........it always made the holidays so much

more special to me.....i miss it now...i did dress my little ones fancy for a while w/the holidays...but my relatives didn't so we finally stopped that................now it is jeans

We did this also! I loved it! One year my sister and I got little white purses that looked like upside down umbrellas and matching hats. I still remember them. Then one Christmas I got a black and white striped dress with a red rose at the waist. I thought it was the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen! We also got muffs at Christmas. My dad always got coursages for mom, sis, me and my brother on Mother's Day. We also got dressed up for that. On Valentine's Day, we all got boxes of candy hearts. Mom got a big one with flowers and we got little ones. We live at the shore so after mass on Easter, we went to the Asbury Park Boardwalk Easter Parade and then got on the rides. It was so much fun. Then home to a ham or turkey dinner. When my son's were little, I also use to dress them fancy but like @kelsey17 my relatives didn't so eventually I stopped also.  I liked those days. Looked forward to my new outfits. It made things feel special and not like just another day.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1wrote:

@nana59wrote:

i dreaded getting dressed up for easter.....so not me....

Me, too! I had a couple of great aunts that would always buy us incredibly froufrou stiff, starched, petticoat laden dresses for Easter and Christmas. Of course we had to wear them. Along with gloves, tights with lace on the seat and those silly hats with elastic chin straps. I hated every minute of it. 

You can remember wearing tights with ruffles on the seat? Because girls past toddler age (2to3) don't wear those,and normally people don't  remember before about 6 yr old.

Respected Contributor

Both my sister and I enjoyed shopping for our Easter outfits. (coat, hat, dress, shoes, purse, gloves)  We were 14 months apart and until we were preteens wore the same outfit in different colors.

Winter Sunday ensembles were dark and blah.  Easter meant pretty pastels, flowers on our hat (never wore elastic bands under our chin) and black patent shoes.

We graduated to suits, (styled "like" Jacqueline Kennedy) more sophisticated hats and heels when we were preteens.

Respected Contributor

I've seen pictures of my sister and myself on Easter. One year we have on blue coats, then the next year green coats, etc.  I wonder how my parents had the money to buy all these coats!  Maybe we had the same dress underneath lol

Esteemed Contributor

@Starpolisherwrote:

@kelsey17wrote:

We did this also! I loved it! One year my sister and I got little white purses that looked like upside down umbrellas and matching hats. I still remember them. Then one Christmas I got a black and white striped dress with a red rose at the waist. I thought it was the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen! We also got muffs at Christmas. My dad always got coursages for mom, sis, me and my brother on Mother's Day. We also got dressed up for that. On Valentine's Day, we all got boxes of candy hearts. Mom got a big one with flowers and we got little ones. We live at the shore so after mass on Easter, we went to the Asbury Park Boardwalk Easter Parade and then got on the rides. It was so much fun. Then home to a ham or turkey dinner. When my son's were little, I also use to dress them fancy but like @kelsey17 my relatives didn't so eventually I stopped also.  I liked those days. Looked forward to my new outfits. It made things feel special and not like just another day.

Your Easter & holidays sounded alot like ours......you just knew it was a special day of the year when you put on those pretty new clothes.............we both have happy memories....Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

FB_IMG_1522028430449.jpg

This is me Easter Sunday when I was two, back in 1978. Mom said my dad (long since gone shortly after this but that's another story) bought this outfit which explains the lack of pastels and frills.

These days, we keep it very casual. My three year old niece though last wore a dress last Easter, not sure what she'll sport this year. It depends on the weather. But I like seeing kids dressed in their Easter best. It's a day made for bows and lace and tulle, and little boys are cute in their bowties and suits. Then after pictures, put on their egg hunting clothes and have fun. 

Valued Contributor

YEP!....Grew up with the total dress-up on Easter Sunday....new hat, gloves, new black patent leather shoes, new dress.  And dad would buy mom a gardenia corsage and I would get a small orchid corsage.  Special memories.

Honored Contributor

The below photo is almost an exact depiction to so many Easters for myself and my younger brother and much younger little sister.  In the 6th grade (1974) I was thrilled to have my own individual dress with no petticoats and high heels instead of patent leather Mary Jane's.

Vintage Easter

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."