Valued Contributor

Easter outfits when you were little

I grew up in the south during the 50s and 60s, and we dressed to the nines for church and especially for Easter Sunday. My mother made many of my clothes when I was a little girl, but when I was about 12 or 13, I got a more grown-up store-bought dress and my first bra!  I will never forget how that made me feel!  Exciting and a little awkwardWoman Wink  Of course, you had to have a hat and gloves as well as hose, new shoes, and a purse. You couldn't afford all that now!  Times have changed, haven't they?  It's nicer to be a little more casual and more comfortable (for sure), but I kinda miss those days of special dressing up.

Honored Contributor

Re: Easter outfits when you were little

When I was growing up, we had a hat shop in our little town. My mom could rock a hat, me not so much. I have a big head and a lot of hair. I did like getting a new outfit , now I hardly ever get dressed up.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

the "bonnets" and always the new white patent leathers for Easter.  Loved it!  Always floral dresses!!

Honored Contributor

When I was younger, my whole family got new Easter clothes. We used to walk along the river in the city after church and show off our finery.

My own kids did too.  The boys got new suits and shoes and my daughter got a new dress and dress coat, shoes, hat and gloves.

I buy my grandkids new clothes for Easter, but they don’t want “dress up” clothing anymore.

The last time I purchased new dress up clothing for my oldest granddaughter, her mother would not allow her to wear it. She wore jeans and her old sneakers instead of the nice dress and Mary Jane shoes I purchased.  I was embarrassed to take her to church with me dressed like that.

Respected Contributor

A new Easter outfit for church was always a must. Dressed up really special from head to toe. It was always something we looked forward to. These days I think some people do still buy Easter dresses for their little ones and they may get them a hat but not gloves, purses and shoes that match.

Honored Contributor

The WORST Easter outfit I can remember wearing........My ma's old hand-me-down clothes.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

i dreaded getting dressed up for easter.....so not me....

Honored Contributor

Growing up in 50s-60s, mom made several of our outfits (I have 2 sisters). We had Easter bonnets, white gloves, little purse, patent shoes. At that time girls didn’t wear pants to school or church. Those were the days.

Super Contributor

Always a new hat that matched coat, gloves, little girl sized purse and shoes. And my mom, sister and I sometimes matched! At the very least, our colors were coordinated. My mom sewed a lot of our dresses but the rest of the outfit was always sure to match, even if store bought.

Heck, we even got dressed up to fly in those days.

Seeing young people in a church in cut-offs, baggy t-shirts and with a Starbucks in their hand is very offputting to me.

We were also taught to speak softly and WALK in churches and museums. As a volunteer at a historical village that is frequented by school groups, I can tell you that such things are no longer taught to a lot of children.

Back to the topic of dressing up for church, though, I think there was a distinct sense of pride when we knew we looked our best. Of course, we probably didn't even have jeans and old sneakers to change in to in order to be more comfortable after going to church. Getting a new pair of Keds sneakers was a big deal and something to show off to the neighborhood kids in those days!

Super Contributor

image.jpegI am in the middle.