Trusted Contributor

Re: Easter outfits when you were little

[ Edited ]

@Harpawrote:

Yes, with the crisp little slips that made your dress stick out front & back & sideways! The new shoes, the ruffly socks, the hat and gloves!

I can still see my DM in her soft, flowing flowery dress and the aqua shrug that was part of the dress.

@Harpa  I remember wearing "petticoats" under the dresses.  They were stiff and problematic when you were trying to sit in church.  My mother had a fettish about "permanents" before Easter.  My sister and I both hated the entire process.  The Toni perms smelled terrible and neither of us liked the frizzy curls that were the end result.  For Easter, we had the whole deal - hats, gloves, etc.  One year for Christmas my sister and I both got white fur muffs with matching small hats - we both loved those.

Respected Contributor

Re: Easter outfits when you were little

My mother liked to dress my sister (3 ys younger) and me in "sister" outfits.   I rebeled against this when I was 7 or 8.      We usually had new hats for Easter.   Little white frame purse was used over and over every year. Inside were a cotton violet printed hankie, a Cathechism booklet, an Avon pink lipstick sample,  money for the collection plate, a palm cross from Palm Sunday and a small glass mirror with my name on the back in red script.

Mother was always dressed to the 9s.  in the early 60s she wore Jackie O Chanel style suits including pill box hat. She had them made by a dressmaker in town. Always matching handbag and heels.   My Dad had an 8mm Bell&Howell so all of this is on film.  He was so thrilled with his girls and adored my mother. We converted them all to dvd so we can see them on the tv