Honored Contributor

Re: EVINE moving its operations?

Actually their warehouses are in Kentucky I believe it is, not Minnesota
Trusted Contributor

This post and/or similar ones come up every few months.  I live in Minnesota a bit north of Minneapolis...it is NOT the frozen tundra!  We have a snow plowing service to do our long driveway.  Last winter he came 3 times.  Now I admit it is NOT California, but it has to be cheaper than either New York or California!

Respected Contributor

@Serenity-Now wrote:

@libbyannE, Us, too!  I think we must be in the minority, but my dh & I felt the same way, and got married in the Fall & honeymooned in the Canadian Rockies.  The locals there all looked at us like we were crazy when we told them we were from FL..."WHY did you choose such a cold honeymoon?!"  We said that we lived in a sauna already, so we wanted to enjoy some cooler weather.  We still feel that way, to this day.  We can't stand hot weather.  

@Serenity-Now

Hi there! I hear you.  I grew up in St. Louis where winters were gray and not cold enough for me. Then my parents moved to SoCal, which was great but the weather was boring to me. I came to Iowa to college and loved the bright sunny winters with white snow and blue skies. Still do. Summers are hot and we live in a lake, so we get plenty of sun, water, swimming, boating, kayaking, etc., but I am really happy when the bright summer days turn into crisp and sunny fall days. I am so ready for invigorating cold and snow, but I have to wait awhile. 

Respected Contributor

I don't care where they move to but who in the world would think a shopping channel is a great investment anymore?

The younger generation are the last people to sit in front of the TV and watch...ok, you got the phone but who's paying shipping and handling, who doesn't want their shipping and handling back when they return.

The trend is definitely not a shopping channel but of course, that's my opinion but you can move it anywhere and it is still what it is, a shopping channel selling watches and more watches and more watches and maybe some towels and sheets.  Just not a fan, they are definitely not customer service oriented over there.,

Trusted Contributor

What they charge for shipping they might as well be in Beverly Hills.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I don't care where they move to but who in the world would think a shopping channel is a great investment anymore?

The younger generation are the last people to sit in front of the TV and watch...ok, you got the phone but who's paying shipping and handling, who doesn't want their shipping and handling back when they return.

The trend is definitely not a shopping channel but of course, that's my opinion but you can move it anywhere and it is still what it is, a shopping channel selling watches and more watches and more watches and maybe some towels and sheets.  Just not a fan, they are definitely not customer service oriented over there.,

@Just Bling - I suspect most of their customers do their shopping online and don't really spend all day watching on their TVs. 

The world is filled with people who have many different ideas a you what to buy. We don't all like of want the same things. I guess there are lots of people who buy high end watches. Just like some collect dolls or other things. Plenty of room for all sorts of things. 

There are lots of people who are getting rich from "shopping channels." 

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The fact that they want to have an eye level studio where passerbys can peer in and see the broadcasts seems odd to me. 

Are they looking to have another studio where guests/celebs would appear but keep home base and most broadcasting in MN or would this be a total relocation? 

I noticed one of the articles said Evine is also looking into weeding out the unknown brands they carry.  

@Lipstickdiva 

Both NBC and Fox have street level studios where people can watch through the windows.  Years ago I was at a Drudge show at Fox studios (remember the Drudge show?) ... we were there in the audience and there were people outside looking in.  One time in the 1990s, several of us were outside NBC with signs during the morning show.

I only watched Evine one time for about 10 minutes the other day - so I'm really not familar with their merchandise.  I'll have to tune in a few times to see what they sell.

I know both GMA and the Today Show have studios where the people are standing around outside and can look in.  That I can understand.

But are there that many people that want to look inside the happenings of a home shopping channel?  I would assume they aren't going to be in the background so they are shown on TV like the other shows. Otherwise that could get very odd.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

Now all they have to do is get rid of all those Watch Shows.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

On-line shopping is the trend now and if you have to pay s/h, there isn't an on-line shopping site that I know of, besides HSN, that refunds the original s/h you pay to have the item sent to you.   

Honored Contributor

I fly in and out of Minneapolis every month or so and have yet to have the HORRIBLE WINTERS keep me from doing so. Even hopping on a commuter plane to my destination has never been an issue.

Now, flying back to the East Coast because WE may be expecting an inch of snow? OMG, the end is near!!!

Relocating to NY or to CA will be a HUGE jump in cost in every way, but especially for the hosts and their families (for those that have them). What they can purchase there will be NOTHING like what they will be able to afford in either location not to mention they most likely will have a long commute back and forth to the studio.

Let's uproot everyone/lose long-time employees because a few vendors are Special Snowflakes and move to 2 areas that are KNOWN for over the top COL expenses.

QVC and HSN set themselves up in areas that, at the time, were cheap/not well known. Over time, they've purchased land and buildings to the point that HSN IS Tampa. EVINE....*SMH*