Honored Contributor

Re: Dye rubbing off from dark denim jeans

I have this happen with every single brand of dark blue jeans I've bought.

I've had my leather (beige) car seats turned blue, I've had everything dyed from stupid dark blue jeans.  It didn't matter what the brand was.

I remember one time I got soaking wet and when I removed the jeans I had very blue legs!  

I've washed and washed the jeans.  I've put all kinds of things in the water of dark blue jeans, you name it...I've done it and they STILL bleed blue!

So, I just wore today Isaac's NEW blue jeans.  These things will stretch from here to there....amazing!  I didn't even look to see what it did to my leather (again beige) seats....I'll do it tomorrow when I get back into the car....

I'm getting ready to get my car detailed (very, very good cleaning and very thick coat of wax for Winter months).  It's expensive but (I think) well worth it.

Hopefully, if I do have blue seats they can remove it from the seats.....ugh!

Respected Contributor

I won't buy dark rinse blue jeans for that reason.  I almost ruined a cushion on my sofa from sitting on it while wearing those dark jeans.  I always wash them twice in hot water and a non chlorine bleach but nothing works.  I've even added vinegar to the wash but they still transfer color. 

Super Contributor

@bmorechick

Try washing them with vinegar, like a cup of vinegar in the washer.

That's what I heard.

Honored Contributor

I've got about a gazillion pairs of dark indigo Jean from QVC, mostly Denim & Co., but other brands are well represented too.  The only trouble I've had with dye transfer have been turquoise clothing bleeding to light colored items in the washer. I've never had indigo transfer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your comments! They are Seven brand jeans and while I did not pay the original price, they fit great and the thought of not wearing them stinks. I am going to grab that scotchguard for sure!! No more dark denim for me.

Honored Contributor

I wash my dark jeans in a cold water with two cups of vinagar as soon as I get them home.  I have never had them rub off or transfer  dye.  Reading this thread I am surprised to hear such horror stories. 😮

Honored Contributor

I have a pair of dark denim I purchased at Walmart under $20 and they never bleed.  I can't imagine having jeans that do that.  The dye would be on everything.  I would take them back from wherever I purchased them.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I heard about this, I've never had it happen to me.  I remember they used to say  wash new jeans in cold water with salt (don't remember how much) before you wear them to prevent color transfer.

Honored Contributor

Yes, this can be a problem!  That's why I don't even buy the very dark colored jeans any more!

A very long time ago, I purchased a new car and special ordered white leather seats --- why?  That's crazy --- white leather!!!  Any how, I was feeling really great.  Brand new car and put my brand new dark wash jeans on.  Yup --- you guessed it!  They faded all over the white leather.  I was going out of my mind.  I never totally did get all the blue off the seats!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I only wear/buy the darkest denim in jeans I can find. All I do is give them a good initial wash, inside out, and I'm good to go. Wow, I never had my dark jeans ever rub off on leather seats!!

"Pure Michigan"