Respected Contributor

Dye rubbing off from dark denim jeans

I have two pairs of denim jeans...dark wash.  I noticed the dye rubbed off on my pink iphone case when i put it in my back jean pocket. Also notice it rubbed off on the seats of my car and it rubs off on my hands too.  I tried to soak and wash both pairs, inside out in cold water in vinegar (via internet search) to try and set the dye, two times.  It did not work.  Does anyone have a solid method that actually works? I don't want them to fade, so I am avoiding washing them too much.  Thanks folks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Dye rubbing off from dark denim jeans

I had this happen to leather seats, a handbag and blouse.  Even washing didn't prevent the transfer.  I pitched them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had that happen, too...who hasn'tWoman LOL I keep a can of Scotchgard fabric-protector and spray after each wash. It seems to help keep the dye in place and prevent it from transferring. You need to do this each time you wash them...it does wash off. Eventually the jeans will stop bleeding and you won't need to keep spraying them. HTH 

Honored Contributor

Dark dye is notorious for doing this, my only suggestion is what you've already tried, vinegar.  I also agree with @SilleeMee, a can of Scotchgard fabric protector can really help keep the dye in place each time.....

Louis Vuitton came out with a new patent leather (Vernis) many years ago ($1 - $3k or so) and ladies loved the leather in the light, gorgeous colors until they realized that the dyes from many pieces of clothing bled right into the patent leather.... with no way to remove it!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

The owner of a clothing  boutique once told me that a [now can't remember if she said teaspoon or tablespoon] of citric acid in with your laundry and detergent keeps the dye from bleeding.  I bought citric acid after she mentioned that, and then never tried it!  Has anyone here?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recall buying a pair of Jordache "black" jeans in the 1980s.  Wore them to a family reunion with a beautiful blue velvet jacket and white silk shirt.  My sister had booked a high-end restaurant. 

We were meeting our new sister-in-law for the first time.  By the time we got to dinner, my hands looked like I had rubbed them in soot and the leather upholstery in my car was ruined.  I was heartsick and did not know how to explain what had happened to turn my hands black and I was 56 miles from the nearest shopping center and my hotel.  My sister who never has a chipped nail nor a hair out of place called me a klutz, of course.

I hate meeting people for the first time and not wearing something nice but I hate more for them to think that I bought something special just to meet them because it makes me appear anxious and inferior.  It was a total embarrasment.  
Tossed the jeans.

Karma.  Three years later that same SIL wore a beautiful black silk dress to our father's funeral.  It was a long drive and she was touching up her make-up in the car when brother hit a pot hole and she spilled make-up on it, 

She did not have to ask, I told her to wear my beige silk-linen blazer over it to hide it.  Yes!  Things happen, don't they, to make all things equal.  Just wished it had been my sister who spilled the makeup.  Hee hee.  She knows I love her and hate her all at the same time.

Honored Contributor

The trouble with that dark indigo dye is that it will not come off of many leathers and silicone. I got it on the white silicone strap of a brand-new watch. I have a large arsenal of stain removers and nothing would touch it.  Those jeans were my first and only clothing purchase from Evine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If it were mine, it would go back to where I bought it.  If they came from a shopping channel, I'd call CS immediately.  Here, it's 1-800-367-9444.

Respected Contributor

I had a similar incident when I hung one of my pairs of black leather pants right next to a pair of white leather. Lesson learned to hard way as I've since kept them separate.

Honored Contributor

Over the years, the dye from the "black" Jordache jeans came off my camel colored leather upholtery (automobile).  But I placed towels over the seats for a few years.  Then eventually the towels had absorbed it or it had rubbed off but I kept that car 5-6 years after that.  I was told I could use Comet but I know that Comet (with chlorine) is no better for the leather than the black dye house color.