Respected Contributor

Re: Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen at Buckingham Palace Garden Party

[ Edited ]

She has hosted presidents, kings and princes.

But yesterday the Queen enjoyed the company of a really special VIP – that’s Very Important Pooch – when Max the spaniel joined her for a garden party at Buckingham Palace.

It’s unusual for a pet to be allowed through the palace gates, but then Max isn’t your average dog.

He even met the Duchess of Cambridge, who immediately bent down, despite her pink Alexander McQueen suit, to stroke his tummy.

Max’s owner, Kerry Irving, 54, from Keswick in Cumbria, overcame acute depression after a serious car accident to become a respected mental health campaigner.

He says his 11-year-old English springer spaniel saved his life.

In 2006, Mr Irving’s car was hit by a truck, leaving him with severe spinal injuries. Once active and outdoor-loving, he became virtually house-bound and suffered acute panic attacks.

On his rare forays outside the house, he would see Max, who belonged to a neighbour, and eventually asked if he could take him for a walk.

‘There was something very special about him,’ he recalled and began pushing himself further and further each day.

‘Max gave me a reason to get up in the morning and something else to focus on, other than the pain.’

When the dog’s owner mentioned that they wanted to re-home him four years ago, Mr Irving jumped at the chance.

‘He simply hasn’t left my side since,’ he said.

Max now works as a registered therapy dog, fundraising for charity and has received a PDSA commendation for his work.

Max in a first class seat on train to Buckingham palace

Max’s owner, Kerry Irving, 54, from Keswick in Cumbria, overcame acute depression after a serious car accident to become a respected mental health campaigner

He even met the Duchess of Cambridge, who immediately bent down, despite her pink Alexander McQueen suit, to stroke his tummy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both the Queen and Kate look lovely as usual.  I love Kate's pink outfit and the earrings are perfect.  William, as well as all of the gentlemen, looks very nice.  Just a lovely afternoon.

Thanks @lmt for bringing in the dog.  Always a favorite with me!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl  You're welcome!

I love hearing stories about how dogs (or any animal) help people cope with a variety of problems.

When Mr Irving was invited to Buckingham Palace to join the Queen for tea and sandwiches, alongside other community champions, it was clear that a special someone was missing. Pictured, with his wife Angela

Max took the whole day in his stride – even when he got a tummy rub from Kate.

They were introduced to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge because of the royals’ interest in mental health. ‘Was it the fact that he wanted to go for a walk that made you want to as well?’ asked William.

Kate also chatted with Mr Irving about her brother, James Middleton, who this year wrote movingly in the Daily Mail about how his own dogs had helped him through a crippling bout of depression.

'It makes such a difference, doesn’t it, the exercise and being outdoors,’ she remarked. ‘The connection dog lovers have with their animals is remarkable. It’s very therapeutic.’

William was so taken with Max, who he described as ‘remarkably relaxed’, that he even urged Mr Irving to let his companion enjoy a swim in the palace lake. ‘He’s allowed to go for a swim, definitely,’ he said, ‘just don’t chase the ducks!

The experience so moved Mr Irving that he was in tears afterwards. ‘What a great guy, what a great guy,’ he said.

‘I think you can instinctively tell when someone has suffered the same issues as you. There is a connection,’ he added.

As for Max, he just lapped up the attention as well as a sneaky, and very posh, sandwich.

Respected Contributor

@lmt  Thank you for the wonderful VIP story about Mr. Kerry Irving and his very special and very beautiful spaniel Max...wonderful!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove wrote:

@lmt  Thank you for the wonderful VIP story about Mr. Kerry Irving and his very special and very beautiful spaniel Max...wonderful!

@ScarletDove  You're very welcome!

Max was one very lucky dog to be able to attend the party. I wonder if he got a chance to swim in the lake?  LOL!!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Great ensemble and color for Kate... The queen's outfit this time didn't seem to measure up to most she's worn recently...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@lmt wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@ScarletDove  You're very welcome!

Max was one very lucky dog to be able to attend the party. I wonder if he got a chance to swim in the lake?  LOL!!  Smiley Very Happy

@lmt  Indeed, and Mr. Irving is one lucky man to have such a wonderful loving companion and family member in Max....  He is one beautiful spaniel...

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It appears to be bright with the sun shining.  Why does everyone carry an umbrella?  I noticed at the last garden party, all the men were carrying them.  The Brits must be eternal pessimists.

@Kachina624  Aside from it being an 'accessory', the weather there can change on a dime... I know, the weather everywhere is fickle, but it rains a lot in England... Check out those clouds and the grey sky in that last picture...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@lmt  Thank you for the wonderful story and the picture of Max.  William and Kate just seem so down to earth and able to relate to everyone, and especially Max.  I wonder if they were responsible for his sandwich!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Kate’s pink dress looks similar to one I had in the 60’s. Mine wasn’t as expensive but was a designer sleeveless lightweight wool dress with a coat to match. 

Thanks for the lovely photos they brought back memories of they way I used to dress. 

LOVE the dog!