Honored Contributor

Re: Duchess Kate in Alexander McQueen

Whoa, I'm floored by the non-stop glamour of it all.  State dinners can be dazzling, and everyone brings out their best.

Those sapphire earrings of Kate's, adore the shape and the fringe.  The Queen Mother had spectacular things, even some quite geometric Art Deco pieces, some of which the King gave her.  She had geometric platinum, diamond and sapphire, emerald and ruby bangles that she sometimes wore stacked.

I very much like Kate's white Alexander McQueen, precisely because of the texture.  She's so slim, that I think she and her figure are enhanced by a bit of texture--  she looks very womanly,  even more "regal" than usual, and just glamorous!  (That's the word I keep thinking of, looking at them...)

Hard to imagine that the ladies might have conspired a bit over a "white-dress" photo op, but......?   It really works here, I think, very effective.

Esteemed Contributor

I bet Melania’s and Ivanka dresses look better in person. I don’t think they photograph that well. I wish Meghan would have been able to attend with Harry. I know she is on maternity leave. It just would have been fun to have an American Duchess part of it all and more fun to have his wife with him. Every knows this is a State Event not a political event.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Considering Kate has a handsomely paid stylist to dress/select her clothing and has a whooping amount of money to spend (700,000 in one year)....I think she could have done better by Kate for this event.

Valued Contributor

Love Kate's beautiful earrings and her tiarra was my favorite one that Diana wore - I'm glad to see that Kate seems to like it so much. Kate looks beautiful and seems to be such an asset to the royal family.

Queen Elizabeth looks lovely and is amazing at 93!

Melania is beautiful also.

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of the dress.  Too many layers.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

A lovely group! Love the Queen's tiara and jewels! Melania's dress is stunning on her!

President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump join Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace for a stare dinner on Monday night with Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall. In the background, Eric Trump, Tiffany Trump and Donald Jr. are shown with the Duchess of Cambridge. The first lady wore a Dior Couture gown

Cheers to you: President Trump and Queen Elizabeth II clink glasses after delivering remarks at the State Banquet. The president ordinarily drinks white grape juice at such functions whereas the Queen drank water

I cant believe Melania is smiling.  She usually looks so unhappy.  This dress actually looks nice on her

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Kate, as usual, is lovely and those earrings are a complete WOW... I can take or leave the dress. She wears it well, but I just am not loving it... The Lover's Knot, also favored by Diana, though she claimed it was heavy and gave her a headache, is a beautiful tiara, but I sort of wish Kate would change it up once in a while. There are likely a number of tiaras at her disposal and a different one now and then would be nice.

@stevieb  I agree. The Lover's Knot tiara is beautiful, but I would love to see Kate wear a different tiara once in awhile, too. Obviously it must be her favorite since she's worn in so many times.

My favorite tiara that she's worn is the Lotus Flower tiara. 

The Lotus Flower Tiara was created by the late Queen Mother when she was then Duchess of York. The tiara is actually a refashioning of a Garrard necklace she was given by her husband, the future George VI, for their wedding in April 1923.

Image result for kate in the lotus flower tiara

Respected Contributor

The Queen commissioned the Burmese Ruby tiara from Garrard in 1973 using gems she already had on hand: 96 rubies which were a wedding present from the people of Burma and diamonds taken from the Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara, another wedding present.

The rubies are set in gold and the diamonds in silver. The tiara is a wreath of roses separated by rays of diamonds; each rose has a ruby center with diamonds for petals and each rose is connected by a line of rubies.

Image result for the burmese ruby tiara

Respected Contributor

@lmt wrote:

The Queen commissioned the Burmese Ruby tiara from Garrard in 1973 using gems she already had on hand: 96 rubies which were a wedding present from the people of Burma and diamonds taken from the Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara, another wedding present.

The rubies are set in gold and the diamonds in silver. The tiara is a wreath of roses separated by rays of diamonds; each rose has a ruby center with diamonds for petals and each rose is connected by a line of rubies.

Image result for the burmese ruby tiara

Wow,wow,wow! Stunning! Thank you for the pictures and the information.

And interestingly the Pictures of the Queen are like the pictures of 3 different women.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt wrote:

gems she already had on hand

LOL - something about that just made me laugh!  Because, don’t we all have 96 rubies laying about. 😀

Seriously though, the tiara (and necklace) is stunning. I love the bold red color.  

Edited to add - I just zoomed in on Anne’s dress.  That’s really beautiful.