Esteemed Contributor

Re: Duchess Kate at Diplomatic Reception

She is absolutely stunning!!!! 🥰

Honored Contributor

I'll never attend a white tie affair.  It must be nice to have everything taken care of for you.  They all have servants and nannies.  Cate looks pretty as usual.  Even the Prince looks good.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

It looks like the Queen in dripping in emeralds.  She looks pretty.  God Bless the Queen.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

The ladies seem to be wearing what look like painted portrait brooches pinned to fabric swatches on their shoulders, anyone know what those are?

ETA: The Queen is wearing two of them

@aubnwa01  They're miniature portrait brooches of the queen called the Family Order. They're awarded by the monarch to those women deemed worthy based on their service to the crown. The queen's are are probably Family Order brooches given to her by past royals. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The blue sash indicates Kate's appointment as Dame Grand Cross, the highest rank of the Royal Victorian Order, also awarded by the queen. Supposedly this is similar to a male being knighted.

kate middleton

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

The ladies seem to be wearing what look like painted portrait brooches pinned to fabric swatches on their shoulders, anyone know what those are?

ETA: The Queen is wearing two of them

@aubnwa01  That's the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

The honor is given by the Queen at her discretion to members of the royal family as a reward for their service. The badge usually includes a small portrait of the monarch painted on ivory, surrounded by diamonds, and placed over a ribbon, and is only worn at formal events. According to Debrett's, an etiquette authority, it's common to wear decorations of order at royal or state occasions, including those in the presence of the Queen.

Kate's iteration includes glass instead of ivory. There's speculation the change may be a result of Prince William's fight to end the ivory trade.

Image result for the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

The Queen herself wears the Family Orders of her father King George VI and her grandfather King George V; she does not wear her own.

Respected Contributor

Is the direction worn of the blue sashes they're wearing significant?  I noticed the born royals, such as the Queen (with the Queen having the widest sash of all) & the princes are  waering their blue sashes from their left shoulder down to right waists, where the royals by marriage like Catherine & Camilla are wearing theirs from right shoulder to left waist.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i read that the Queen's tiara, here dangling emeralds, is the one that Meghan had her eyes on for her wedding.  but it is associated with being worn by the Queen on many grand occasions. Meghan was pointed to another in Queen's collection.   actually i think i like the emerald tiara that Eugenie wore. to me it is even more beautiful (and probably easier to wear).  

Esteemed Contributor

Kate is a beautiful woman but I do not envy her or any of the other royals. They may be drenched in gems but their lives are not their own. They are at the mercy of arcane and archaic rules and standards that seem rather silly to me. Of course they live in great wealth and comfort. Still, they are all like birds in a gilded cage.

Honored Contributor

I think the sashes might have to do with the Order of the Garter...it is only a guess