Respected Contributor

Re: Duchess Kate at Diplomatic Reception

@stevieb wrote:

Kate is looking very 'European royal'... She looks wonderful and lots of sparklers. I think the dress is both beautiul and a good look for her. I do sometimes wonder why, with all the headgear at their disposal, she and Camilla most often seem to wear the same tiaras. 

@stevieb  It seems that both Camilla and Kate have their favorite tiaras.

Camilla's is the Boucheron tiara, which is one of my favorites. 

Image result for boucheron tiara

Kate's is the Cambridge Lover's Knot. The Queen reportedly loaned the Lover's Knot Tiara to Princess Diana as a wedding gift. Diana opted instead to wear the Spencer Tiara, a family heirloom, on her big day, but the Lover's Knot became one of her favorite pieces, despite being so heavy that she often complained it gave her a headache.

Image result for cambridge love knot tiara

Respected Contributor

The Queen is wearing the Vladimir Tiara.

Summer Opening Of The State Rooms At Buckingham Palace

This beautiful tiara has graced the heads of three magnificent matriarchs of royal dynasties: the Grand Duchess Vladimir (who commissioned it), Queen Mary (who bought it) and Queen Elizabeth II (who inherited it), and is associated with a romantic story of escape during the Russian Revolution.

Queen Mary altered the tiara to make the pearl drops interchangeable with emerald cabochon drops, and the Queen has been photographed many times wearing it with either stone. At a State Banquet in Latvia in 2006 the piece was worn with no drops.

Queen Elizabeth, tiara, Vladimir, emeralds, pearls

Esteemed Contributor

Kate is always dressed to perfection for these events.  Those tiaras are just beautiful.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

This is a beautiful picture.

Honored Contributor

Ok; I'll say it.  Regarding Kate, I think the tiara, the earrings and the necklace are just too much.  She either needs to lose the necklace or the earrings.  Or scale one of them down.

Regarding the Queen, I don't like the emeralds falling against her clothing.  I think they need to fall against skin, or a smoother fabric. The tiara is beautiful though, and I like all three versions of it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt  I love looking at all the royal tiaras and have often visited websites that feature them. I think the Lover's Knot will always be associated with Diana and my gosh, I don't think I'd previously seen the Vladimir with those sumptuous emeralds. Fabuous! There are several that have been sold off or disappeared over the years and, or course, others acquired. One of my personal favorites is the Persian Turquoise (Triumph of Love) tiara, I think most often associated with Princess Margaret.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Always dignified, always lovely, an asset to her country and her many charities , Duchess Kate!

Honored Contributor

e: Duchess Kate at Diplomatic Reception

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

Ok; I'll say it.  Regarding Kate, I think the tiara, the earrings and the necklace are just too much.  She either needs to lose the necklace or the earrings.  Or scale one of them down.

Regarding the Queen, I don't like the emeralds falling against her clothing.  I think they need to fall against skin, or a smoother fabric. The tiara is beautiful though, and I like all three versions of it.

@faeriemoon  I tend to more or less agree. I think the necklace might have been a bridge too far. I believe there are different pieces that can be attached to dangle from the bottom or it can be worn with none. Assuming that's true, it might have worked better without them or at least without the largest of them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Re: e: Duchess Kate at Diplomatic Reception

Kate is always gorgeous but this is one of my least favorite looks for her.  Not sure if it's the dress or the hair, something looks too severe to me.  

Honored Contributor

Re: e: Duchess Kate at Diplomatic Reception

@pinkcrystal wrote:

Kate is always gorgeous but this is one of my least favorite looks for her.  Not sure if it's the dress or the hair, something looks too severe to me.  

I kind of agree.  She looks like one of those mean Disney princesses here.