Contributor

Dry cleanable? Please advise.

I recall Joan Rivers recommending that every so often she would have an otherwise launderable garment dry cleaned to restore its original crisp, refined finish.

I am refering expressly to pants I just love: Isaac, Louis delO and Halston. I have several pairs in my rotation which will need cleaning soon. They all have a beautiful fit and finish which I fear will get messed up in the washing machine, if not in the dryer. Plus, pressing pants is neither easy nor foolproof. 

All are some combination of synthetics: polyester, elastane, spandex etc. Does anyone have any experience DRY CLEANING these? Yes, I know it's expensive, but that's not the issue right now.

I'm thinking of taking Joan's advise to preserve the wonderful condition of my pants. All advice appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dry cleanable? Please advise.

@ArmoBuyer 

I bought dryel for my Banana Republic Sloan trousers.

I haven't tried it yet but I've used it in the past with good results.

Honored Contributor

@ArmoBuyer 

I use spray fabric sizing when something needs to be "renewed."    Here's some info:

Sizing is the preferred method of adding body and crispness to clothes made of human-made fibers such as polyester or cotton/polyester blends because vegetable-based starch will not adhere to these fibers. It can be used with the lower ironing temperatures recommended for these fabrics.

Respected Contributor

I take a lot of things to the cleaners to have them cleaned and pressed. It is not expensive and they seem to last longer and look like new. Now this is dress clothes not my casual clothing.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ArmoBuyer 

ended up washing a pair of those,

came out fine

Honored Contributor

Not something I would do.  My mother used to yell us us girls when we were doing our laundry  "don't wash the life out of your clothes!  Clothes cost money."  I think the key to keeping washable clothing crisp and bright is to avoid washing them too much and don't put them in hot dryers.  Also use a gentle detergent.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ArmoBuyer 

came out fine

@jackthebear 

Really? A friend told me that they didn't come out so well..

I've discovered a couple of things, mistakenly, in the washing machine so I know it's not necessarily a death sentence... I'll check the label to see if it's dryable and 'oops!' lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ArmoBuyer 

came out fine

@jackthebear 

Really? A friend told me that they didn't come out so well..

I've discovered a couple of things, mistakenly, in the washing machine so I know it's not necessarily a death sentence... I'll check the label to see if it's dryable and 'oops!' lol

Cold gentle 

then hang from bottom inside seams facing 

mine were much older so the fabric could be different now 

i wash  everything  ——just about 

Honored Contributor

You can also purchase an ironing cloth (I got mine on Amazon) for ironing some of the funky materials out there that will burn or scorch with a hot iron.

It works very well.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I do dryclean a few pieces, but I also feel very comfortable laundering clothes.  I  take as much care choosing a laundry detergent as I do my beauty and hair cleansers, use cool water, do NOT put any clothes in a dryer and don't mind ironing (with a good iron).  Ironing makes anything -- even a t-shirt look more like new.  Most of my clothes usually last for as long as I want them.  

For those who live in areas such as Chicago where it can really cost $8 to $12 to dryclean a top, it's completely understandable that many would prefer not to spend $60 to $70 every week or so on drycleaning.