Trusted Contributor

I personally love tiers.  They were very popular back in the 80's, as I recall.  I guess they were called "prairie style" back then.  I thought they were very "Ralph Lauren" too.  I was doing a lot of clothes sewing back then, and made so many of that style, in skirts and dresses.

The thing I noticed, though, in choosing fabric and patterns for that style, was that in order to get the look I wanted, the tiers couldn't be that full, the fabric couldn't be at all stiff or crisp, and the top tier had to be longish.  If the skirt fit the bill, it looked very flattering, even elegant.  But if the layers were too full, the top one too short, well then I just looked bulky, and somewhat silly, like I was trying to dress too young for my-then- 40ish age range.

So, to me there are good tiers and bad tiers, and I think done correctly, they are  elegant and graceful, even for older women.  The fabric needs to flow, but not flow too much. I'm glad to see them back again.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been clothes shopping lately, but I guess i had a different idea of tierd.  I don't care for prairie styled dresses, but none of the dresses posted here say tiered to me.  I do have one bit of an A-line dress that has a separate layer underneath that hangs lower than the outer layer.  That's what I think of when I hear tiered.  The way the manufacturer dealt with all that excess fabric was to use a netting sort of fabric underneath and only use the fashion fabric on the bottom, so it's neither hot nor heavy.  It's leopard print with red flowers on it, so I wouldn't term it prairie. 

Tiered Dress.jpg

Honored Contributor

When I went to see my kids last weekend I usually visit a few favorite shops where they live. I bought a pair of jeans and when I was walking out I saw the most darling sleeveless tiered dress. I should have tried it on but didn't. I'm going back there next weekend for Easter hoping they still have it. I hope it looks good on me!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  I love this dress for summer. I purchased the black and the blue one in your pick as I have a navy and a white jean jacket I can wear over them.  Cute with wedges or flat sandals. The tiers didn't look super obvious in the dark colors (which is why I chose them) but have to say, that yellow with the light blue jean moto jacket screams Spring!

My only question was which length to order. Though I'm 6 feet, I don't want it too long but nor do I want it looking like a traditional dress. Hope I chose the right length.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

You people who have nothing but rude, sarcastic things to say can add me to your hit list. I have two sleeveless tiered dresses  from Lands End. I like the look. I like it on my 5'4" frame. My figure is larger on top with slimmer hips. This style gives me a balanced look. I can throw on one of my pretty print dresses, flip flops and some earrings, and run errands. That's actually my plan for today.  My dresses are breezy and cool during a Florida spring, summer and fall. We are already into the 90s. 

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I haven't been clothes shopping lately, but I guess i had a different idea of tierd.  I don't care for prairie styled dresses, but none of the dresses posted here say tiered to me.  I do have one bit of an A-line dress that has a separate layer underneath that hangs lower than the outer layer.  That's what I think of when I hear tiered.  The way the manufacturer dealt with all that excess fabric was to use a netting sort of fabric underneath and only use the fashion fabric on the bottom, so it's neither hot nor heavy.  It's leopard print with red flowers on it, so I wouldn't term it prairie. 

Tiered Dress.jpg

From that photo you posted, it looks like the fabric was cut on the bias and there is a double layer of fabric,one just slightly longer than the other.

I love this style of skirt.  It always looks so flattering on.  It's long and kind of a very slight A-line, almost straight, style,  but because of the bias cut, the bottom forms a little ruffle, sort of. 

I have a couple of skirts made like this, and they are my favorites.  I always think I look a little better in this style.

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

You people who have nothing but rude, sarcastic things to say can add me to your hit list. I have two sleeveless tiered dresses  from Lands End. I like the look. I like it on my 5'4" frame. My figure is larger on top with slimmer hips. This style gives me a balanced look. I can throw on one of my pretty print dresses, flip flops and some earrings, and run errands. That's actually my plan for today.  My dresses are breezy and cool during a Florida spring, summer and fall. We are already into the 90s. 

I bet you look smashing!

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 

Just because I don't like them and wouldn't wear one has no reflection on you.

We are all free to like / dislike / wear / not wear ... 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

I bet you look smashing!

Respected Contributor

Re: Dresses with tiers!!!

[ Edited ]

I like dresses with tiers, & I like the whimsy vibe of chiffon on them this year. The chiffon has a light, airy, carefree feel.

Does anyone remember Louis Dell Olio's tiered skirts? They were a #1 seller for him. They were so pretty.

Christian Siriano's TS tiered maxi is lovely.

I don't think that Louis, Christian, or Ralph Lauren have an agenda to make us look like "Little House" women or an 1850's wife. I think they're extremely talented and make beautiful designs.

If someone thinks they personally don't look good in a tiered style (or other styles), then maybe they just shouldn't buy it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dresses with tiers!!!

[ Edited ]

I love the tiered and flowy look in the summer. I just wandered over to HSN and looked the TSV unfortunately it is sold out in the pink/tall. I am 5'8" and alway buy the talls so they are longer and fall to my ankles. I just love that look.

I am not sure what everyone's idea of prairie is but I certainly don't get those vibes from that dress. I thought it looked chic and summery.