Esteemed Contributor

Dressbarn closing all 650 stores

[ Edited ]

I don’t see this posted elsewhere. I admit that it’s been a while since I’ve shopped here, mainly shopping online. But, it always had unique items I thought. Usually nice things for formal occasions or the office. I know I see others posting about it.

NEW YORK — Dressbarn, the women’s clothing chain that’s been around for nearly 60 years, is closing all 650 of its stores.

The company’s chief financial officer, Steven Taylor, said Dressbarn has not been operating at an “acceptable level of profitability in today’s retail environment.”

Its owner, Ascena Retail Group Inc., says it wants to focus on its more profitable brands. Ascena also owns Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant and other clothing stores.

The company did not say when Dressbarn will shut all its stores. Dressbarn employs about 6,800 people.

After the news was announced Monday, shares of Ascena Retail Group Inc. rose 2.6% to $1.17 in extended trading. Shares of the Mahwah, New Jersey-based company are down more than 50% so far this year.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dress Barn closing all 650 stores

I've only walked through this store a few times. I just couldn't picture myself buying and wearing clothing from a "barn". Horrible name from day 1.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I've only walked through this store a few times. I just couldn't picture myself buying and wearing clothing from a "barn". Horrible name from day 1.

My thoughts exactly.  It's almost comical.  Some things you don't name a store.  That word barn. I think I heard the name before, but never shopped there.  I think only 2 stores in my state. 

Honored Contributor

The couple of stores in my area closed a few months ago.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dressbarn closing all 650 stores

a store in an redone mall closed recently and didn't reopen guess that's why, space is now Lands end.

wonder why they aren't doing well?  mainly dresses

I checked it out and they had a good range of sizes

Honored Contributor

I like this store.  I always found very pretty blouses, sweaters, and other items here.  I am sorry to hear this!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I am sorry to hear this but I was not a shopper there.  

Respected Contributor

Wow so sad.  I bought from them more when I was a plus size but I stil buy online occasionally.  They have beautiful clothes - good prices  

Honored Contributor

I am sooo sad!!!! The Dressbarn nearest me has excellent clothes and super nice sales people.....I buy so much from there, and there is also a larger one about 40 minutes from me that is really nice as well..

I am so sad because with our Mall closing all of its anchor stores, Dress Barn was the closest store to me that I could actually go into and shop.....It is really too bad......Our store has very nice clothing at reasonable prices and there were always coupons as well......

Esteemed Contributor

The one in our local mall went out awhile ago.  They had some cute things and I purchased a few items there but the sizing was so inconsistant....moreso than any other store I've ever shopped in.  I hated taking three different sizes of items in the dressing room to try on that I just quit going in.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown