Valued Contributor

Re: Dress Casual How College Students Redifined American Style

I'm a baby boomer. I was raised to dress for church or other more formal functions. Though I will go to my job at a church where I sit in a room alone, and there are minimal staff around or run my choir rehearsal in jeans and a nice shirt, I STILL can't dress in jeans or capris for church. It just feels wrong to me. When we were kids we had school shoes, play shoes and Sunday shoes. I don't care what anyone wears to church. If you want to come in sweats it won't bother me, but I can't do it. I always wear a suit or a dress or a skirt and pretty vest with tights or hose and dress shoes. It just feels right to me.  

I am probably also one of the last people to wear black to a funeral. I love my black dresses anyway, so it's easy to do.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dress Casual How College Students Redifined American Style

I remember when women could not wear pants to the military grocery store aka the commissary as my mom shopped there once a month and you could bring a guest. This was back in the 60s and my mom's friend was not allowed in because she was wearing pants. So she turned around went outside and rolled up the legs of her pants. She was wearing a long coat so she was admitted. That was also a period when children were not allowed into a commissary either. That would never happen today.

We didn't wear pants much in high school in the early 70s, we wore dresses or mini skirts mostly. But college was jeans all the time.