Valued Contributor

Re: Dr. Who Performed Joan's Throat Surgery is Out

On 9/12/2014 champagnepoodle said:
On 9/12/2014 pistolino said:

When it's confirmed by a reputable source, I'll believe it. I loved Joan, but the facts are:<br /> <br /> She was 81 years old<br /> Had many, MANY surgical procedures with anesthesia before<br /> She discussed having a cardiac arrhythmia years ago

<br /> Any or all of these can be a lethal outcome. If something wrong was done, then I hope they correct and re-educate themselves.<br /> <br /> If nothing was done wrong and it was just a bad outcome, their business is permanently damaged from this unfortunate event.

ITA. Facts 81 years old, with too many facial procedures. End of story.

Well, gee. I guess her daughter and the rest of the world can now have closure. Must be nice to know so much with so little information.

Trusted Contributor

Unless Joan Rivers' doctors were stupid beyond stupid, they did not do anything to her that wasn't covered by the consent forms she signed before the procedure. I worked for surgeons for years, and those consent papers usually cover all the bases......including unexpected eventualities and decisions that come up in the process, while the patient is under anesthesia.

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 GoodStuff said:

Unless Joan Rivers' doctors were stupid beyond stupid, they did not perform any procedure on her that she hadn't signed a consent for. I worked for surgeons for years, and those consent papers you sign before a procedure usually cover all the bases......including unexpected eventualities and decisions that come up during surgery.

ITA! Joan signed the papers and we all know what that means. End of story.

Valued Contributor

She may have signed consent forms for one kind of procedure but if the doctor veered off into another procedure then that's another story. But the doctor was fired by the Board. That means there is something very wrong.

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 shoppergrl said:

She may have signed consent forms for one kind of procedure but if the doctor veered off into another procedure then that's another story. But the doctor was fired by the Board. That means there is something very wrong.

He was not fired by a long shot. Dr Cohen is head professor at Mt Sinai

Trusted Contributor

I said, "unless her doctors were stupid beyond stupid." And most doctors aren't.

Respected Contributor

"You can't have surgery without consent." (champagnepoodle)

Normally, when colonoscopies are performed, if the Dr. finds polyps, they remove them. I don't know if this is SOP in endoscopies as well. I'd assume that it is, but not certain. I don't think it's known as surgery, it just a little clip and it's removed. If anyone has ever had skin tags removed, think of it being similar to that.

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 GoodStuff said:

I said, "unless her doctors were stupid beyond stupid." And most doctors aren't.

Doctors are human not God and they make bad choices like anybody else. What you seem to be missing is if Joan had a medical issue that stopped her heart then nobody would be asked to "Step Down" unless somebody allegedly did something unethical.
Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 champagnepoodle said:

speculation....

Specilation? It's a nice professional way of saying fired. C'mon get real
Respected Contributor

I just read an article on the NY daily news website that he was fired.