Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Who Performed Joan's Throat Surgery is Out

I don't believe he did anything more than what he intended to do.
Contributor

I am guessing that the Clinic wants to "distance" themselves from this Doctor due to the bad publicity they are getting.

I will also guess that some people cancelled their endoscopy/procedure at this Clinic due to what happened to Joan.

Sadly, I think this Doctors reputation has been tarnished even if he did everything right.

It is just MY opinion that Joan's death was from natural causes and not any medical error.

It is not normal for an 81 year old body to be as active as she was.............I think her body just "gave out".

I will miss her.

.........................butterfly

Contributor

Dr. Cohen's misdeed was letting Joan's outside ENT - not on the Yorkville staff nor insured by Yorkville malpractice carrier - to participate in the procedure.

If Dr. Cohen actually allowed this ENT to even attempt a biopsy, that's a big no-no. ENT was not on clinic staff, not covered by their insurance, etc., etc.

Since Dr. Cohen resigned or was forced to resign, it appears, as said upthread, at the very least he is the fall guy.

If he allowed an outside doc to practice medicine at Yorkville - well, then, he's in deep doo-doo - as is Yorkville.

Valued Contributor

Why would she bring her own ENT Dr with her. Did she not trust the clinic. And if they found something what was her Dr supposed to do about it. I am wondering if they suspected a problem and for some reason her Dr didn't want to go to the hospital. And planned to biopsy it if something was found. If he wasn't on staff at the clinic I would think there would be liability to allow him to do anything.

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 milly said:

Why would she bring her own ENT Dr with her. Did she not trust the clinic. And if they found something what was her Dr supposed to do about it. I am wondering if they suspected a problem and for some reason her Dr didn't want to go to the hospital. And planned to biopsy it if something was found. If he wasn't on staff at the clinic I would think there would be liability to allow him to do anything.

That's a great question. But yes, apparently or allegedly they did allow it and it makes no sense to me.
Contributor

Thread on another forum

http://www.city-data.com/forum/current-events/2195837-joan-rivers-has-died.html

has many comments from an experienced anesthesiologist. Bottom line, with Joan's age and heart issues, she should not have had ANY sedation/anesthesia outside a hospital setting.

Per this doc, she should NEVER have been outside hospital:

We use a standard classification system called the ASA (American Society of Anesthesiologist) system, to determine how healthy or sick a patient is for surgery. It classifies patients into 1 of 6 categories. ASA1,2,3,4,5, or 6.

Most surgery centers will only take the healthiest patients (ASA1 or ASA2). If they are equally equipped as a hospital, why is that? Shouldn't they accept the sicker (ASA3 or ASA4) patients if they are just as good as a hospital?

BTW, an 81 year old with a cardiac history is at least an ASA3.

which means hospital only. Also, per him, Dr. Cohen - per papers written: "That same gastroenterologist wrote an article back in 2007 about how gastroenterologists were qualified to give patients their own anesthesia for endoscopies without an anesthesiologist present."

Yes, Yorkville had 4 board-certified anesthesiologists on staff. Big Q - was one of them present? Spokeswoman for clinic has not addressed that issue, specifically.

All that said - yes, Joan was 81. Anything could have happened. She should have been in hospital with a very experienced board-certified anesthesiologist present at all times. Period.

Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

This is all so unfortunate and sad, all the way around. And we'll get all the true information regarding what happened when it all eventually comes out.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Sadly, no matter what happened, nothing can bring her back.

Trusted Contributor

I posted this earlier and my link was from Huffington Post. It was taken down. That is so weird.

goldenretriever, glad you posted it too. It's important information!