Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Scholl’s Original Wood Slide Sandals

I would pay $150 or more in a happy heartbeat not to have to try to walk in them.  I had a pair back in the day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb wrote:

The blue and pink ones on QVC.com are cute. 

But, yikes, $150.00! I'll pass. Can't believe they are that much!

I know it's 40 years after my original pair, and that the price of wood is up...but anyone recall when we used to buy these at the drug store for about $15-20?! Those were the days, I guess. 

Everything cheaper now as they used recycled this or that.  I often wonder what will happen to all the repurposed clothing using recyclable materials will hold up.

Honored Contributor

@amyb 

Those sandals can't live up to the reputation of Birks and yet are more expensive!  Bad form!

I noticed that since the 1970"s they have added a cushion, although thin.  It's very uncomfortable for me to walk on wood.  I could only hack it a few hours in college!

Honored Contributor

All I can remember is that horrid sound they made.  You could hear someone coming a mile away.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@amyb   I know they were popular years ago, but I have no idea what we paid for them.  I do know about what I earned in the early 80's --  most likely for me to buy them at that time, they certainly couldn't have been too expensive.

If I wanted them, I would shop the Internet.  Nothing much costs what it did 40 years ago!

Sadly....nothing much costs what it did 2 years ago!! 😕 

Valued Contributor

I do remember their popularity at the time but for the life of me couldn't walk in the darn things.  

Super Contributor

I also wore them in the 60's, 70's and I loved them then and now.  I still have them and still wear them and they're in great shape. 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@amyb 

Those sandals can't live up to the reputation of Birks and yet are more expensive!  Bad form!

I noticed that since the 1970"s they have added a cushion, although thin.  It's very uncomfortable for me to walk on wood.  I could only hack it a few hours in college!

@ECBG I would agree. Toe bar/bump or not, I don't consider the Dr. Scholls sandals similar, at all, to Birks, which I love.

Birkenstocks (of course are "forever" but also..) are having "a moment" again...as they've become very trendy, especially the real "crunchy granola" ones. 

Honored Contributor

Really?  That much?????  Goodness - unbelievable!  When I was a teen, I wore a pair of those all summer long.  I had a light tan pair.  I adored them.  I clacked, clacked all over the place.  I know they were really cheap and you couldn't wear them out.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I saw them at a DSW for around $40 not that long ago.  Of course I had to try them on for old time's sake.  They really aren't that comfortable, but these looked exactly the same.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!