Trusted Contributor
It's hard to believe that Barro the gae Butler STILL has power after everything he has done over the years. I think Julian Fellowes needs to hand the writing over to someone else.
Respected Contributor

I love that Barrow (?) is still so evil. The actor who plays him is excellent.

Valued Contributor
On 2/24/2014 suzeecat said:

I too was shocked and disappointed to find out it was the season finale! At least this season left off on a more pleasant note than last season (with Matthew's death). I loved seeing everyong frolicking at the beach.

So Mr. Bates is an expert forger and pickpocket (not to mention suspected murderer)! He does seem to have a darker side, but I still like him so much! Barrow is so dastardly! The actor who plays him does a very good job of portraying him as such a low-down villain.

There was so much going on in this episode I think I will re-watch. I was caught off guard from the beginning when it turned out that Edith had left to have her baby in Switzerland and already returned! I wasn't expecting that.

OMG the fashion ! ! ! I even swooned a bit to see Lord Grantham in his dress military uniform.

LOL I saw him in a movie called "Mr. Stink". He plays a homeless man who is befriended by a young girl. Quite a change of costume, yet he still looks distinguished!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/21/arts/television/mr-stink-stars-hugh-bonneville-in-a-holiday-fable...

Esteemed Contributor
Actually someone posted on another thread that Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary) has said next season will be her last on the series.
Trusted Contributor

I didn't realize that Sunday's show was the end of the season until a few hours before. On my tv, they flashed that it was the season finale throughout the episode. I've read some criticisms of the writing in this season, but, I'm definitely not unhappy with the episodes!! Still love the writing, the characters, and the plots. I only wish that it wouldn't be so long until the next season since this season just started in January.

Trusted Contributor

Definitely my favorite show and I miss it when it's not airing, but BBC has some great new shows starting - Midwife, Selfridge, and a couple new ones I can't remember. This last episode, however, was a bit of a mystery to me. There was so much going on, and the time lapse from the previous episode surprised me so I need to go back and watch this episode again. The clothes are to die for - just beautiful! Don't think Bates murdered that rapist although the writers certainly want you to think - it just seems too obvious. I believe that the next series will focus on WW11 and may well be the end of the series. Mostly because that marked the end of aristocracy in England.

Esteemed Contributor

There's always something interesting in the Sunday evening time slot on PBS. Next up for Masterpiece Classic is Season II of Mr. Selfridge. I believe Call the Midwife (a personal favorite) also returns next week for its third season.

I love Downton, but I hope they don't stretch it out just because it's so popular until it becomes a parody of itself. 5 or 6 seasons is plenty for any TV show. I wouldn't mind if the next one is the last not just for Michelle Dockery, but the entire show. Should Downton continue beyond Season V don't be surprised if a new Mary is hired. There is precedent in previous popular series to do so if an actor bows out and the character is critical to the ongoing storyline.

Trusted Contributor

Mr. Selfridge....Love that series.

Trusted Contributor

I thought this season was lackluster compared to past seasons. The season finale was almost boring. I hope they step it up next season as I have enjoyed this show in previous seasons.

Honored Contributor

Well I found this series just 3 weeks ago, I love it, I missed so much , I have bought me a dvd player,and ordered their dvd's, it reminds me of upstairs down stairs, we lived in England in the early 70's, I got hooked on some of their programs, I wish there were more great tv, like this series.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.