Respected Contributor
On 2/24/2014 tishkins said:

Have you heard of the series Upstairs Downstairs. It is just like Downton Abbey. Watched it in tv many many years ago. I have found it on my kindle in the video section.If you like Downton give it a try.

Also, the film Gosford Park.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Frequent Contributor

I am afraid the series will end when the Countess Dowager dies. She is not well. She will take the past with her. There will be nothing left to say.

Respected Contributor
On 2/24/2014 princessaurora said:

I am afraid the series will end when the Countess Dowager dies. She is not well. She will take the past with her. There will be nothing left to say.

How do you know they will kill her charcter off? I hope not!

Does it annoy anyone else that Mary always has men panting after her constantly?? and Edith well things didn't go so nice for her. For some reason I am finding it annoying...they are always in love with her after 10mins...proposing marriage....declaring their undying love/devotion...can't live without her....would do anything for her...give her anything she asks for and on and on it goes!! Total nonsense!! I have never met a man that acted like this even remotely. Sorry to nit pick this story line...I do like the show and watch it regularly...can't believe it won't be back for almost a yr.

Frequent Contributor
I too am having Downton Abbey withdrawal. We wait so long for what seems like it no sooner starts and it's over! I enjoy all the characters....the actors do a wonderful job. Barrow is definitely the bad guy. Mr Bates is certainly 'cool'....he is very useful! There were a lot of hints for things to come. Already looking forward to January!
Respected Contributor
On 2/24/2014 tsavorite said:
On 2/24/2014 princessaurora said:

How do you know they will kill her charcter off? I hope not!

Does it annoy anyone else that Mary always has men panting after her constantly?? and Edith well things didn't go so nice for her. For some reason I am finding it annoying...they are always in love with her after 10mins...proposing marriage....declaring their undying love/devotion...can't live without her....would do anything for her...give her anything she asks for and on and on it goes!! Total nonsense!! I have never met a man that acted like this even remotely. Sorry to nit pick this story line...I do like the show and watch it regularly...can't believe it won't be back for almost a yr.

Mary comes with the heir ...
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Super Contributor
On 2/24/2014 tishkins said:

Have you heard of the series Upstairs Downstairs. It is just like Downton Abbey. Watched it in tv many many years ago. I have found it on my kindle in the video section.If you like Downton give it a try.

I've been debating whether to buy the set of Upstairs Downstairs

Regular Contributor

I came on board late. The show was approaching season 3, when my brother sent me seasons 1 & 2..HOOKED! Since I was able to watch one episode after another on DVD, it was difficult to get used to having to wait for a week between episodes. This fall, as soon as season 5 is available on DVD, I'm going to buy it. I can't take the torture!

Season 4 was great..but I did miss Matthew.

Super Contributor

Why in the world would they ""kill off"" Countess Dowager? She's one of the mainstays. And how can you be ""annoyed"" that Mary has men panting after her.....it's a TV show for cripes sake!

Esteemed Contributor

We're hooked at our house. My friend and her English husband got us started on the show. I'm impressed that so many of you remember character names. Countess Dowager reminds my husband of his maternal grandmother. I remember her -- she often twisted her mouth around before she shared a proud 'insight'... probably husband's fave character.

I'm thinking Edith's beau may be imprisoned in Germany, therefore no communications. I do hope she doesn't listen to her aunt about her unborn's future.

Speaking of brown - Barrow is absolutely a brown noser. Love to hate him. He certainly is trying to do a number on our favorite Irishman.

So glad Mary had the sense to toss Bate's ticket to London in the fireplace. She did toss it, right? I don't think Bates killed the awful man, but no doubt he knows people, who know people...

I do love Mrs. Crawley's character.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor
Cyndog if you like Ripper St. You may like the Artful Detective on the Ovation Channel and Copper on BBC America. Both are Police procedurals but they have plenty of history.