Super Contributor
I know, I got nervous the minute they said Edith's boyfriend (Mr. Gregson?) was going to Germany for the divorce because of the time in history. I can't remember if the brown shirt reference was when Edith was talking to Aunt Rosamunde or her Grandmother.
Super Contributor
Believe it or not, I didn't even know about Downton Abbey until this last December! A neighbor loaned me Season 1........I was hooked! I purchased Season 2 & 3, then Season 4. Last night I purchased Season 1 for my own, so now I have the complete set. I hate the fact we have to wait 10 months for Season 5. But I plan on re watching all the episodes again and again.....
Honored Contributor
On 2/24/2014 Chimi said:

I too enjoyed last night's episode but the season is way too short for us devotees. I suspect it takes quite a bit of money to produce these shows...the wardrobe alone with the many changes for both men and woman, upstairs and downstairs, has got to run into some serious money. Love the dowager and Cora's mother when they banter together. Mr. Bates is certainly multi-talented and does appear to have a dark side but do love his adoration of Anna. As for the mention of the brown shirts, I believe I read somewhere a while back that Edith's beau would get involved with the brown shirts but I could have been mistaken.

Every season the UK viewers send out spoilers from each episode as they see them ahead of us. I did peek...just once....but it's hard not to look each week to see what happened. Filming began this month for the next season, hope these performances last for a while. It is nice to watch top notch entertainment.

I love the bantering between the Dowager and Mrs. Crawley. Mrs. Crawley is a very modern woman for her time period.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor
I love all the characters, but Violet is a hoot!
Super Contributor
I like it too when real history is woven in. I watch Ripper Street on BBC America and they have made Joseph Merrick known as the Elephant Man a witness to a crime weaving him in as just a person as opposed to an oddity, a different take on him.
Respected Contributor
On 2/24/2014 JustJazzmom said:
On 2/24/2014 Chimi said:

I too enjoyed last night's episode but the season is way too short for us devotees. I suspect it takes quite a bit of money to produce these shows...the wardrobe alone with the many changes for both men and woman, upstairs and downstairs, has got to run into some serious money. Love the dowager and Cora's mother when they banter together. Mr. Bates is certainly multi-talented and does appear to have a dark side but do love his adoration of Anna. As for the mention of the brown shirts, I believe I read somewhere a while back that Edith's beau would get involved with the brown shirts but I could have been mistaken.

Every season the UK viewers send out spoilers from each episode as they see them ahead of us. I did peek...just once....but it's hard not to look each week to see what happened. Filming began this month for the next season, hope these performances last for a while. It is nice to watch top notch entertainment.

I love the bantering between the Dowager and Mrs. Crawley. Mrs. Crawley is a very modern woman for her time period.

Violet and Isobel are like Lucy and Ethel.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Super Contributor

""Violet and Isobel are like Lucy and Ethel.""

HA! Love it!

Honored Contributor

Thoughts on Mr Bates? I don't think he's guilty of murder, but I think he was in London.

Respected Contributor
On 2/24/2014 faeriemoon said:

Thoughts on Mr Bates? I don't think he's guilty of murder, but I think he was in London.

They sure are setting it up to look like he did it.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Regular Contributor

Have you heard of the series Upstairs Downstairs. It is just like Downton Abbey. Watched it in tv many many years ago. I have found it on my kindle in the video section.If you like Downton give it a try.