Esteemed Contributor

I was browsing around in the "new" listing on QVC.com and sort of smiled to myself when I saw a down coat for $645 listed as a new item. The timing just made me laugh since we are not even into summer yet.

Plus that's one expensive coat. Since I have a collection of coats (as in probably too many), I'm not in the market for one anyway.

Respected Contributor

Wow.  I have bought down coats and jackets at LL Bean and Lands End - they're beautiful and more reasonably priced.  I have a Kenneth Cole one from Macy's that's nice too.  Can't say I've priced them lately though. At Lands End and Macys they always have sales and nice promo codes/coupons.

Respected Contributor

I never buy a down coat anymore, for several reasons. When I buy a puffer coat, vest, etc. I make sure it has polyester fill and not down.

The polyester fill is just as warm if not warmer with today's great tech, it's lighter in weight, it dries quicker, the fill doesn't come out, it doesn't smell if it gets wet, and I'm not using feathers/down from any geese or ducks.

Honored Contributor

I've always bought my down coats from Land's End at the end of the season.  Always got very, very reasonable prices.  However, the past couple  of winters, it hasn't gotten cold enough here to wear them.  Not complaining about the lack of frigid cold, however!!!!!  (Mid-Atlantic area).

Esteemed Contributor

I've also bought coats from Lands End and I do prefer the polyfill over down.  I have bought them for far less than that.  A few years ago I bought one of the expedition coats that QVC was sellling and used it when we had a few really cold days but it's bulky and not very comfortable to wear a lot IMO but I have it if I need it.

Honored Contributor

Back in my younger days of hiking/camping I would only carry and wear down products. You can't beat the warmth it provides for the amount of weight it has.Polyfill is heavier than down. Every ounce of weight mattered especially when your packing for several days and carrying it on your back. Down rules in that department. But today I wear polyfill. No backpacking for me now.

Eddie Bauer has the best down. They used to sell it in bags for when you needed to refill a down coat or something if it got a hole/tear in it. The quality of that down was unsurpassed.

Honored Contributor

I bought a black down coat from Lands End.  I got it on sale for a good price and has to be about 8 years old. Still looks like new!

I can't imagine spending that much and don't understand why it's new for this time of year.

Honored Contributor

I bought one in the 80s.  Would never buy another.