Valued Contributor

ITA Pearly! I feel like it's doublespeak to be alerting us to all the RFID precautions and then selling bags like this. Also, I have a disability and walk with a cane. Even then I've had my share of tumbles. My items would be flying all over the place if I take a fall!

It's pretty, no doubt. But this, for me is where function wins out over form!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke TSV???

[ Edited ]

And to add to what @Gemspirit  just posted, I didn't read any post here as saying all bags have to be zippered, even though apparently at least one poster took my post or Gemspirit's post to say that.  

In addition to the lack of zipper, I don't want to be carrying a 2.8 lb. bag  around.  I can only imagine what mine would weigh once I put my things in it.  Just too darn heavy, as many D&Bs are.

Valued Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke TSV???

[ Edited ]

@JavaQueen wrote:

It would ruin the design of the bag to put zippers. It would be like putting an outiside pocket on the zip zip.

only put an umbrella or bus pass. Since I don't carry an iPhone 6 ( or any other $$$ phone), it wouldn't bother me to put my phone there. After spending many years in an urban area, I have adjusted.

Most of the more expensive bags don't have RFID security. I guess you just buy one of those 10 dollar RFID wallets and keep in the bag.  It is a shame that we now have to think of these things.

Fortunately, Dooney's not the only brand.

For all who have purchased this TSV, I hope you love it.

Java queen; I didn't say three zippers on this bag, just the middle section. And I do use an RFID wallet. Both Coach and M.KORS sell RFID wallets and some bags. I've seen them in mid range bags as well. 

I do use one of the nylon RFID bags if we go to a very crowded public space, outdoor event or the shore. Walking with a cane is sometimes impossible to use a "regular" bag. It only leaves me one hand to hold on to my DH or look at an item. 

BTW~My smartphone ended up costing me only $65.00 after an instant coupon and a great sale at Target last week.

According to to my docs I'm headed for a w/c within a few years......I'm fighting very hard for that not to happen. Independence is a very precious thing. Anyone with a physical disability can relate. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Gemspirit, totally agree with you about preferring zippers, although I do admit to not using the zipper all of the time. Woman Surprised

Also, keep as active as you can even if you are now limited to a cane. Using those muscles will help keep the wheelchair at bay. I'm pulling for you! Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Well, you have to take the style of the bag into consideration.  A zip closure wouldn't work for every bag.  However, I do like some type of closure for security.   Snap, zipper, magnetic closure.  Something.    But a lot of bags just don't offer that today.  And it is never a deal breaker for me if I like everything else about the bag.  I don't carry big wallets anymore.  The zipper pouch on the wall of a bag is enough for my important things. When I carry an open bag, I put a silk scarf in, on top of my stuff.  So no one can see inside or pull something out.  Also if my bag falls on the floor, everything won't tumble out.  My mom taught me that.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Well, you have to take the style of the bag into consideration.  A zip closure wouldn't work for every bag.  However, I do like some type of closure for security.   Snap, zipper, magnetic closure.  Something.    But a lot of bags just don't offer that today.  And it is never a deal breaker for me if I like everything else about the bag.  I don't carry big wallets anymore.  The zipper pouch on the wall of a bag is enough for my important things. When I carry an open bag, I put a silk scarf in, on top of my stuff.  So no one can see inside or pull something out.  Also if my bag falls on the floor, everything won't tumble out.  My mom taught me that.  

@chrystaltree The few times I carry an open bag, I use a dust cover inside the bag, and cinch it shut to keep my things secure. It works really well.

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Gemspirit, totally agree with you about preferring zippers, although I do admit to not using the zipper all of the time. Woman Surprised

Also, keep as active as you can even if you are now limited to a cane. Using those muscles will help keep the wheelchair at bay. I'm pulling for you! Heart

My ideal bag has an interior zipper for my wallet but a magnetic closure for the larger opening.  If I have a zipper opening at the top of the bag I rarely close it due to the hassle so I leave myself more exposed than if I had a mag snap.

I have a very simple Dooney tote that I bought years ago.  I find the purses to be on the heavy side as someone else mentioned so I shy away from them.

Respected Contributor

I pre-ordered this Dooney TSV in the Hunter green.  There aren't any zippers that is true but it is secure.  Love it.  I typically prefer a zipper but on this particular shape, zippers would not work.  It has plenty of space and organization but if you prefer zippers, this one may not be for you. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I am sure many girls will be happy with the Dooney special value.  Please enjoy and wear it with happiness.

Unfortunately, I cannot even begin to think of wearing that heavy.  And it is a wide bag at its base, which is way too bulky for me.  I have my collection of bags from various designers, and only two bags do not have zippers.  But in both cases, there is a wide leather flap with a fastener closing the top opening. One is MK and the other a cross-body Dooney.  That said, I do prefer zippers for the same reasons others have mentioned.

Trusted Contributor
I did like the bag but noticed right away about the no zipper, I prefer keeping my bag closed, also the long strap is too skinny for a bag that heavy and I recently purchased a Kat Spade bag that ended up throwing my back out from being too heavy after my purse was too full. So while I like the look of the bag it would not be the ideal purchase for me.